Chihuahuas are small in size but big in personality. They are often described as “yappy,” yet this breed is actually one of the smartest! The Chihuahua’s intelligence can be attributed to their high energy level, which drives them to learn quickly and become more adept at problem-solving.
Are Chihuahuas Smart? Here are some fun facts about these little bundles of joy:
- Chihuahuas have been known to open doors
- Turn off lights
- Go upstairs on command
- Chihuahuas excel at training because they’re so eager to please their owners.
If you want a smart dog that will listen well, look no further than a Chihuahua!
- How Do You Measure Dog Intelligence?
- The Smartest Dog Breeds in the World According to the Stanley Coren Test
- #1 Poodles (Average score: 126)
- #2 Golden Retrievers (Average score: 125)
- #3 Border Collies (Average score: 123)
- #4 German Shepherds (Average score: 121)
- #5 Australian Shepherds (Average score: 121)
- #6 Doberman Pinschers (Average score: 120)
- #7 Rottweilers (Average score: 119)
- #8 Labrador Retrievers (Average score: 118)
- #9 Shetland Sheepdogs (Average score: 116)
- #10 Papillons (Average score: 114)
- Other Studies on Dog Intelligence
- Measuring Your Chihuahua’s Intelligence
- Are Chihuahuas Smart?
- 7 Reasons Why Chihuahuas Are The Smartest Dogs in the World
- Related Posts
How Do You Measure Dog Intelligence?
Dog intelligence is defined as the ability to learn new tasks and respond to training. Experts have developed a test called the Canine Cognitive Battery (CCB) that measures five dimensions of cognition:
- Adaptive skills
- Instinctual patterns
- Sensory functioning
- Social maturity
Chihuahuas score well on all tests. They excel at training and learn new tasks quickly. For example, a Chihuahua may learn to go upstairs or open a door in just a few trials!
The most important consideration when choosing the right breed is finding one that matches your lifestyle. Do you want an active dog who loves long walks? A laid-back couch potato?
The smartest breeds are often medium-sized.
Here is a list of the 10 smartest breeds, in no particular order:
Poodles Golden Retrievers Border Collies German Shepherds Australian Shepherds Doberman Pinschers Rottweilers Labrador Retrievers Shetland Sheepdogs Papillons (Breed profile: Chihuahua)
The Smartest Dog Breeds in the World According to the Stanley Coren Test
#1 Poodles (Average score: 126)
The #1 smartest breed is the Poodle. These dogs are easy to train and excel in many activities, including agility and obedience. Famous for their intelligence, poodles are highly valued as assistance dogs.
Poodles love companionship and make loyal and fun pets.
#2 Golden Retrievers (Average score: 125)
Golden Retrievers come in second place. These dogs are brilliant and easy to train.
They excel at agility, obedience, tracking, disc dog, flyball, search and rescue, therapy work, and more.
If you’re looking for a family dog, the Golden Retriever is your best bet.
#3 Border Collies (Average score: 123)
Border Collies come in at number three and are known for their intelligence and speed. These dogs were born to herd! They love working and need plenty of physical activity every day.
Border Collies excel at activities such as agility, herding, obedience, rally, and freestyle.
#4 German Shepherds (Average score: 121)
At number four is the German Shepherd Dog. These dogs are one of the most versatile breeds; they excel in any activity you can think of.
German Shepherds love working and thrive in competitive activities. They need plenty of exercises every day to stay healthy.
#5 Australian Shepherds (Average score: 121)
Australian Shepherds are also known for their versatility and high energy levels.
These dogs are easy to train, loyal, loving companions who excel in herding, agility, obedience, rally, and flyball.
#6 Doberman Pinschers (Average score: 120)
Number six is the Doberman Pinscher, a German breed originating from a cross between a German Pinscher and a Rottweiler.
Healthy and athletic, these dogs are loyal and obedient to their owners. They excel at activities such as tracking, obedience, and agility.
#7 Rottweilers (Average score: 119)
Another German breed, the Rottweiler, comes in seventh place on the intelligence scale. They are obedient, devoted companions that do best with owners who can set consistent rules for them to follow.
Because they are mighty dogs, they must be trained and socialized from a young age.
#8 Labrador Retrievers (Average score: 118)
Labrador Retrievers rank at number eight on the intelligence scale, with an average Canine Cognitive Intelligence Index of 118.
These dogs are easy to train and excel in agility, obedience, search and rescue, therapy work, and more.
#9 Shetland Sheepdogs (Average score: 116)
Also known as Shelties, these dogs are smart and eager to please companions who excel in obedience and agility training.
These dogs love having tasks to accomplish; they thrive with active owners who take them on daily walks, runs, or other activities.
#10 Papillons (Average score: 114)
Papillons (or lap dogs) are alert, intelligent dogs that love to please their owners. These little dogs are easy to train and excel in agility, obedience, and performing tricks.
They make great pets for seniors or people who live alone; they enjoy having someone to chat with.
Other Studies on Dog Intelligence
Stanley Coren’s study is not the only one to assess canine intelligence.
In 2013, researchers at Emory University conducted an fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) brain activity study and found that dogs process images as visual and olfactory stimuli; they see and smell rather than see.
Measuring Your Chihuahua’s Intelligence
How intelligent is your Chihuahua? If you need a way to measure your dog’s intelligence quotient, here are a few quick tests you can give them:
- Tricks – Can your Chihuahua perform any tricks, such as shaking hands or rolling over?
- Obstacle Course – Do they know how to navigate an obstacle course?
- Leadership – Do they follow your lead? If so, they may have a high IQ!
The smarter the breed of dog, the more quickly he will learn what you are trying to teach him.
All dogs are intelligent in their own way, and learning varies from dog to dog. So keep training fun and positive!
Are Chihuahuas Smart?
The Chihuahua is a popular breed known for its small size, big personality, and even bigger attitude. But how smart are they?
One study ranked the intelligence of different breeds on a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the most intelligent.
Chihuahuas scored an average of around 3.1-3.5, which is above average. So it may not be the smartest of dogs, but certainly smarter than you think!
7 Reasons Why Chihuahuas Are The Smartest Dogs in the World
If you have ever owned a Chihuahua, then you know that they are super smart. They are the smallest dogs in the world, but they definitely have big personalities.
As it turns out, there are actually many reasons why these lovable pups are some of the smartest breeds in the entire world. Let’s take a look at 7 of them right now…
1. They are super cute! Chihuahuas are the smallest members of the dog family, with big personalities to match. When you mix all that, it makes for one very adorable canine companion.
2. They can be trained easily. Chihuahuas are brilliant dogs that can be trained to do nearly anything you ask of them. So if you want an obedient dog, this is the perfect breed for you!
3. They are incredibly loyal. When it comes to Chihuahuas, loyalty knows no bounds. These dogs will give you everything that they have, and then some if they believe that it’s in their best interest to do so.
4. They love to be around people. Chihuahuas crave the attention and company of people, and they’ll do just about anything to get it. So if you’re looking for a cuddly companion that won’t bother anyone else in your household, look no further!
5. They are courageous. Chihuahuas are usually courageous dogs that won’t hesitate to go out of their way to protect you from anything and everything. For example, if they believe that it’s in your best interest, they’ll attack a wild animal with no hesitation at all.
6. They are ever watchful of intruders. Chihuahuas are very protective of their owners, and they’ll do just about anything to protect you from an intruder that’s trying to take your attention away.
7. They are brilliant. Chihuahuas may not be the smartest dogs in the world, but they’re definitely smarter than average.
Most people think of Chihuahuas as being super cute but not all that bright.
However, these lovable pups are actually some of the smartest breeds in the world when you place them against other dog breeds.