Labs are joyful and happy mood dogs who love to spend time with owners and kids as well. These dogs always develop long-lasting bonds with their families, this is the reason they are so popular in the USA, and the American Kennel Club has more labs registered as compare to any other breed. These dogs are ideal for small and large families as well as they are gentle enough to live in small houses and also enjoy living in a large home. Their energy keeps them charged all the time and its easy to train them; this is another reason for their popularity. You own a lab and looking for the best dog crates for labs, moving forward we will discuss what you need to know before buying a crate for your lab.
They need a daily walk and plenty of space to play; they love to play freely in an open space. When you bring a lab home, you need to decide either to crate him or not. In this article, we discuss what type of crate is best for your dog and which size suites him best, and we also list some top-rated crates. Our list includes:
Carting or not crating is a debate that will never end, but if you own a trained or well-behaved dog, then there is no need to crate your dog. A crate is a basic requirement when you own a dog, because off and on you need to keep your dog confined and its utmost requirement for those who own an untrained dog who can destroy the belongings. Most dog owners use crates to keep their dogs confined until they trained well, and owners become sure that they will not create a mess anymore.
Labs are energetic dogs; a puppy needs open space to burn his energy while it’s also necessary to crate such a dog until he is not housetrained. Crates give dogs a personal space that allows them to escape anything that scares them. They consider it like a house and love to spend time in the crate when you provide comfortable bedding inside and provide activity toys. Many dog owners prefer to keep the labs crated especially when they are on the job or out of the home to keep them safe. For a puppy, it can be dangerous to give him free reign of your home because you have no control over what a dog does or where it goes.
What Size of the crate is suitable for labs?
It’s best to buy a standard size crate that can accommodate a fully grown dog. A 42-inch crate is the best choice for a lab. If you want exact size then, we recommend buying a crate which is 40 inches in depth, 30 inches wide and must be 33 inches high to accommodate a fully grown lab. The crate size should be large enough to accommodate a fully grown dog, here in the below-listed table, we enlist the average size and weight of the labs that you can follow to support your decision.
|Labs||Height at Shoulders||Length||Weight|
|Male||22.5 – 24.5 Inches||26 -30 Inches||65 – 80 Pounds|
|Female||21.5 – 23.5 Inches||26 -29 Inches||55 – 70 Pounds|
When you are buying a crate for your fully grown lab, you must measure your lab or depend on our calculation. Even if you are purchasing a crate for a puppy prefer to buy a standard size crate with a divider so you can use the same crate for your fully grown lab after 18 months.
How to Measure the Size of your lab?
You may own a mixed breed; in that case, the size fo your dog may differ from the size of pure breed lab. If this i a case, then you should measure the size of your dog before buying a crate, here is a simple guideline to measure the size of your dog.
- For Height, measure from the floor to the maximum height of your dog, keep the margin of at least six inches while buying a crate.
- For Length, measured from nose to tail and keep a margin of at least 10 inches so your dog can sit comfortably inside.
- For Width, take the width of your dog from the widest part and keep a margin of 8 to 10 inches. It should not be lessor then the overall length of your dog.
Measuring your dog before buying a crate can save you from the inconvenience, a lot of customers who buy crates return the product because while ordering they do not know about the exact size that they need.
1. Ultima Pro Most Durable MidWest Dog Crate
- Folding dog crate, 43L x 28.5W x 31.25H inches, Compact to store
- Made with heavy-duty steel wires Thickest wire crate in the market and equipped with plastic tray
- Ideal to hold the most energetic and active dogs
- Engineered with two-door that makes access easy
- Each door is equipped with two slid bolt latches for maximum security
- Storage, travel and portability becomes hassle-free with this crate
Ultima Pro Most Durable MidWest Dog Crate is made with the most think steel wire, no other competitor offer crates with same gauge wire. It is made to keep the most energetic and active chew master confined, coated with the high tech material that makes it pet-friendly and also rust and corrosion-resistant. It’s compact when folds and take only seconds to fold and setup. It is a perfect crate to use for travelling to keep your dog safe.
2. AmazonBasics Single Door Metal Dog Crate
- Most economical single door design 42x28x30 inches (LxWxH)
- Plastic pan is easy to clean and washable
- The door is equipped with two slid bolt latches to prevent any possible escape
- Comes with optional divider and plastic pan tray
- Easy to set up and compact to store
AmazonBasics Single Door Metal Dog Crate is the basic product for well-behaved dogs, made with the steel wires that are high quality and durable, coated with the long-lasting material that increases the life of crate and makes it pet-friendly. It is a single door product that is made of high-quality material. Its collapsible and foldable options that you can store easily at your home and can be used for travelling or when you visit the vet.
3. SportPet Designs Plastic Kennel
- Plastic dog kennel 39” L x 27” W x 30” H, with wire mesh ventilation space and door
- Iata airline approved. 2 dishes, 4 live animal stickers, metal bolts and nuts included
- Equipped with tie-down holes for bungees to keep the pets safe during ai travel
- Ideal to use at the front seat, back seat or cargo area of cars
- Easy to clean floor, the kennel is fully washable
- The wire mesh design allows air to flow freely and provide clear visibility to dogs
SportPet Designs Plastic Kennel is designed to keep pets like labs safe during a car ride and in the plan. It meets most of airlines standard and it is made to keep the dog safe during an accident. If you need a crate to keep your dog fully confined or you travel with your dog occasionally and enjoy trips together then its the right choice for you. Its a best pet-friendly pick for most of the dogs, it’s easy to assemble and simple to latch shut. It is equipped with the proper tie-down holes for safe airline travel.
4. EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate
- Soft crate to feel your dog spacious 42″ long x 28″ wide x 32″ high
- Made with steel frame and durable 600D fabric cover, hex mesh fabric on windows
- Made for extra comfort with three side mesh windows to provide sunlight and clear breathability
- Features two accessory pocket, on each side to keep toys and treats
- Comes with a money-back guarantee and 2 years warranty
EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate is for those who want extra comfort for their dogs, its soft inside, made with high quality fully washable fabric and supported by a steel frame. The collapsible and foldable crate is also softly padded to keep the dog easy. Its zipper style door and windows open and folds in a rolling style that can be used to provide a clear view of the dogs. It is an ideal crate for the dogs when you need to use the crate for multiple purposes like you can use it as an inside crate for personal space of your dog and it’s an ideal piece for a car ride when have to keep your pup with you.
5. LUCKUP Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Ideal steel crate for anxious dogs 41.5″L X 30.5″W X 37″H
- Heavy-duty rust and corrosion-proof frame
- The door is equipped with a safety style buckle to prevent any possible escape
- Features slid out plastic tray that makes cleaning easy and collects any fallout from the floor
- Easy to move with 360° rotating wheels and comes with a warranty
LUCKUP Heavy Duty Dog Crate is made for anxious labs when you own an anxious dog, it’s hard to keep him confined behind the metal wires. For such a dog a heavy-duty cage is required with a strong gate. The product in the spotlight is tested by us for medium and large dogs and we find that it is hard for any dog to make a way out. We like its door which is secured with three locks, so even escape artists cannot figure out where to put efforts to get out.
Who Should Buy a Large Dog Crate
You need to choose a crate carefully either you are buying one for permanent crate-bed or looking one for travelling or camping. When you are searching for a crate its really good to decide what type of crate you need and how much budget you are going to spend on it. It helps you to find a good crate for your pup. A lot of options are available but only a few suffice the purpose correctly and finding a long-lasting crate is really a challenge. All the crates that we listed above are trusted by thousands of customers.
A right crate is always a perfect size crate so if you do not know about the size of your dog you can depend on the table given above to get the exact size or measure your dog to get the dimensions as per our given criteria. Beyond size, there are dozens of crates but we suggest to now look for any new style or design that attract you, depend on the proven ones to stay secure and satisfied. The very basic and general guideline is, you are buying a dog crate for the medium-sized dog so do not look for cheap or light options.
You are definitely in need to crate your dog, there are various reasons but do not leave your dog unattended for long time periods, the very simple reason to crate your dog can be crate house training your dog. Whether you are planning short bursts or full-time training make sure that your dog comfortably fit inside the crate. Before buying a crate you also need to decide whether it will be used only for training or for a personal bedding space of your dog and maybe a cage to keep your dog confined. If there is a need to keep your dog confined for a long time then look for the sturdy option instead of a steel wire crate.
You also need to buy a crate for your dog if you are planning to fly with him, a crate that meets airline standards and can keep your pup comfortable when he is alone in the plane. The crate is the only way to keep your dog safe and secure during travel whether its an air travel or a car ride.
Save Money, Buy An Adult Dog Crate And Re-Size It For Your Puppy
If you buy a small crate for your puppy then you need to buy a large one when he grows up. Its fact that your puppy needs a much smaller crate then a full-grown adult dog, lab puppies eventually become a full-grown adult dog.
It’s really unreasonable and not a good choice to keep upgrading your dog crate especially once your puppy grows. They can get expensive quickly. So when you buy a crate we recommend buying a crate that can fit an adult lab as per our given guidelines. The first two listings come with an optional divider that makes the job easy you can divide the inner space to get a small space for your puppy and can increase the area as he grows. Otherwise, you can use a cardboard or wooden board to adjust the available space.
This way you only need to buy a single quality crate and you can adjust the proportions as your puppy grows.