You can have a best friend for life once you have a dog. However, having a dog and living with it are two entirely different factors. Sometimes, it is hard to take care of a dog because its skin tends to become sensitive. Many dogs have sensitive skin, which remains more prone to skin diseases; they need extra care and cleanliness here; the need for dogs shampoo for sensitive skin arises.
The best dog shampoo for sensitive skin is made to soothe the skin and prevent any possible damage, provide healthy skin and a lush coat, as well as leave a long-lasting freshness.
As the skin is the first defense against the outside world, a dog’s skin must remain healthy. It is said that dogs typically don’t have sensitive skin unless there is some severe underlying factor.
Factors Causing Sensitive Skins in Dogs
It can be a single reason or there may be multitude factors that cause skin problems in the dogs and its also necessary here to know the factors. Because when it comes to dealing with sensitive skin you need to identify the elements that cause disturbance in skin conditions. Here are few factors that matter most:
- Genetic reasons – some dogs are born in a way that has more sensitive skin than others. Because of the tendency to have susceptible skin, these dogs even get allergic to grass or even pollen.
- Food factors – if it had been in our hands, we would have given everything to our dogs, but this is not how they function. Dogs are allergic to a variety of food, and these include certain fruits and vegetables. They are even allergic to corn-based gelatin products. Exposure to these foods makes the dog’s skin sensitive.
- Dry environment – dogs thrive in a healthy environment. However, if the climate is too dry because of indoor heating or air conditioning system, then it can irritate your dog’s skin.
- Infestation – Dust mites, fleas, and ticks are real. Once these little pesticides enter your dog’s fur, they will not leave unless they make it a proper breeding place. These little pesticides can make your dog’s skin extremely sensitive.
- Seasonal Factors – some dogs tend to have sensitive skin with the change in season.
Conditions may not be limited to the above listed ones but surely while paying attention to the cause you can surely find the reason.
Common Skin Problems in Dogs
A dog with sensitive skin is extremely vulnerable and prone to skin allergies. Here is a list of different skin allergies related to dogs.
- Impetigo – impetigo is an extremely severe condition that can be witnessed in puppies and adult dogs. In this skin condition, dogs get pus-filled blisters that may burst and hurt like hell.
- Yeast infection – Dogs with susceptible skin are more likely to get a yeast infection. If you notice that your dog is scratching its ears continuously or chewing its paws, then these are the valid symptoms of yeast infection. Other symptoms include itchy or discolored skin. It is a terrible skin allergy and originates in a warm environment.
- Seborrhea – is another skin issue that is relatively common in dogs with sensitive skin. In this skin condition, a dog’s coat becomes scaly and greasy.
- Mange – dogs with sensitive skin are also likely to get a skin disorder called mange. This skin disorder is caused by mites and also known as canine scabies. Symptoms include red skin, scabs, hair loss, and itching.
- Allergic dermatitis – dogs with sensitive skin also get allergic dermatitis. In this skin condition, dogs react to environmental irritants, grooming products, or foods by having dry and itchy skin.
In most of cases dog owners can identify the skin problem a dog shampoo provide relief in just first few bathes. But if problem persist that its better take advise from vet.
What are Best Ingredients for Sensitive Skin in Dogs?
Every problem has a solution. If you believe that your dog has susceptible skin, then you need effective shampoos to tackle this problem effectively. However, it is essential to look for the best ingredients in shampoo to make sure that they work magic on sensitive skin.
Essential oils – Essential oils such as rosemary, lemongrass, etc. are valid for a dog’s sensitive skin.
Benzoyl peroxide – In medicinal treatments, benzoyl peroxide is often used. It is effective against ticks, fleas, mites, and sensitive skin.
Omega 3 and omega-six fatty acids – It is always good to get something for dogs with sensitive skin that has Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids as ingredients. These oil extracts have a positive effect on skin health. Not only do they replenish the surface, they also retain moisture-retaining capabilities and help with skin issues due to sensitive skin.
Vitamin E – Vitamin E is essential to keep the dog’s skin moisturized. It has a similar effect to that of fatty acid and allows the fur to lock in the moisture and prevent drying out.
Aloe Vera – Dry skin is a constant trouble for poor dogs. However, the use of aloe vera will soothe and calm it. Aloe Vera makes your skin itch-free and prevents licking.
Coconut extract – coconut extract is beneficial to enhance the overall smoothness of the fur. Coconut-based surfactants are also non-toxic and safe for pets.
Oat and wheat proteins or extracts have a healing effect on the coat and prevent the hair from damaging. They are nutrient-rich and good for the overall health of the skin.
Why Shampoos Are the Best for Sensitive Skin?
If your dog has sensitive skin, then you should get proper treatment. Apart from shampoos, other therapies include topical solutions and pills. However, these treatments take time to work. On the other hand, shampoos work immediately, and that’s why they are the best.
Let’s dive deep and look into the various ways that show why shampoos are indeed the best solution for a dog’s sensitive skin.
- All the right ingredients in one place – the best thing about dog shampoos for sensitive skin is that shampoo has all the right ingredients. Together these ingredients work wonders on the surface of your pet and keep it healthy and rejuvenated.
- Suitable for drying skin – shampoos have the best ingredient to lock in the moisture and prevent dryness. Also, shampoos ensure silky, smooth hair.
- Optimal PH – when the skin of a dog is too sensitive, it leads to shedding and allergies. Dog shampoos for sensitive skin ensure that the optimal pH is in place.
- Healing properties – Dogs require a considerable amount of healing if they have too sensitive skin that leads to allergies. Shampoos have beneficial healing properties, and that’s why they are the best.
9 Best Dog Shampoos for Sensitive Skin
Dogs can have sensitive skin for various reasons. However, the usage of effective shampoo can yield amazing results. We reviewed more than 30 products which considered best among dog owners and finally found a few best products to share with our readers.
Let’s dig deep and find out what are some of the best dog shampoos for sensitive skin.
1. Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
- Perfect formula – the shampoo has the perfect formula for dogs with sensitive skin.
- Suitable for any age – regardless of the age this shampoo can be used on anyone.
- Gentle cleansing properties – the shampoo has gentle cleansing properties.
- Scented – it is perfectly scented.
This shampoo by Rocco and Roxie is a perfect formula for the sensitive skin of your dog. It is suitable for the use on puppies that naturally have sensitive skin. Nevertheless, it can also be used on dogs of any age. It contains all-natural ingredients that have gentle cleansing properties. The formula contains aloe vera, chamomile and rosemary.
Alovera offers gentle nourishment that locks in the moisture. Chamomile is gentle on the skin and rosemary stimulates the growth at the follicles. It keeps the fur smooth and hydrated. There is no increase in irritation after the use in case of any skin condition.
Overall it a perfect blend of calming and gentle ingredients. This allows your furry friend to enjoy bath time.
The shampoo does not contain any dyes or artificial colors. There are no traces of parabens, phosphates, and alcohol.
- The shampoo has no traces of harmful ingredients.
- It is devoid of any artificial colors.
2. Vet’s Best Dog Shampoo for for Sensitive Skin
- Suitable for itching – due to sensitive skin properties if your dog is suffering from itching then the shampoo can serve it best.
- No infestation – the quality ingredients of the shampoo prevents further infestation and allergies.
- Wonderfully scented – it has all the right ingredients at the right place and is wonderfully scented.
- Suitable for all ages – the shampoo can be used on younger pups.
Be it bedbug infestation or medicated shampoo range Vet’s best has got you covered. The formula of this specific shampoo is specially formulated for the sensitive skin. It is hypoallergenic and does not exacerbate the irritation and itch on your dog’s skins.
It is an all-natural remedy for several skin conditions. It is reliving and smothers down the rough and brittle coats.
It is infused with Vitamin E, aloe vera, and allantoin. All of the ingredients work in unison to provide your dog with an itch-free and trouble-free bathing experience. It is beneficial to get rid of the allergens on the skin that might be troublesome. This shampoo has a moisturizing effect, and washing does not dry out the coat. It can also work in combination with tick and flea treatments.
This blend is devoid of harmful chemicals of all sorts.
- Wonderful shampoo for sensitive skin.
- It promotes healing.
3. Paws4Pals All Natural Organic Pet Lavender Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
- Lavender – the shampoo has a mild smell of lavender and is extremely effective for sensitive skin.
- Good for allergies – if the dog is in the grip of allergy due to sensitive skin then it needs this shampoo more than ever.
- Reputed – it is a reputed brand and can be trusted.
- Improve the overall health – the quality ingredients of the shampoo improves the overall health of a fur.
This shampoo is a perfect option if you love the mild smell of lavender. It is an ideal option if your dog has an allergy or skin condition that can cause itching and irritation. The formula works by improving the overall health of the skin and making it smooth and stiff free.
It contains all the natural ingredients that keep the skin hydrated and relieves dryness.
It contains almond oil, colloidal oatmeal, aloe vera and Vitamins. All of the constituents work to improve the skin conditions that relate to sensitivity. Washing also helps to eliminate all the culprits of allergy and irritation. Oatmeal calms the skin and replenishes the nutrients.
Lavender and lilac oils add the scent for an additional cozy effect. It is alcohol and sulfate-free shampoo. The blend does not contain any harmful ingredients to disturb the PH of the skin.
- The shampoo is non toxic
- It is suitable for all ages.
4. Burt’s Bees Natural Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo
- Effective for sensitive skin – the shampoo is extremely effective for sensitive skin.
- Good for yeast infection – the active ingredients can work wonders for yeast infection.
- Suitable for pups – the shampoo can be used on younger puppies.
- Fragrance – it has an amazing Fragrance.
In case of shampoo for sensitive skin, Burt’s bees have got you covered as well. Its wide range includes all the requirements of your pet dog’s including the extra pampering for sensitive skin. It is an ideal formula to combat skin issues with ruining and dry out the coat of your dog.
It comprises of gentle cleanser that is not harsh on your dog’s skin and soothes out the fur. The shampoo has a light lather and can easily be rinsed out.
It contains a mixture of shea butter and honey. Both of these ingredients are gentle on the skin. The moisturizing effect locks in the water and keeps the fur safe from the harms of the environment. It soothes any irritation due to itching or wounds. This formula is helpful in the healing of damaged skin.
It is 100% safe and does not contain any harmful sulfates or colorants. Even the fragrant agents are plant-based.
- The shampoo has all the plant-based ingredients.
- It is effective for different skin irritations.
5. Pet Heads Feeling Flaky Strawberry Yogurt Dry Sensitive Skin Shampoo
- Manual Guide – the bottle comes with a manual so it can be used effectively on dogs.
- Suitable for dry skin – the shampoo is extremely effective for dry skin.
- Scented – it has an amazing strawberry scent.
- Eco Friendly – having this sample means having eco-friendly options.
It is a sensitive skin miracle filling in a stylish and aesthetically pleasing bottle. I love pethead comes with the complete guide of its products for when to use a specific shampoo. Feeling flaky is specially designed if your pup has sensitive and dry skin.
It has a fantastic strawberry yogurt scent that adds to all of its qualities. It is a dog’ friendly and safe even is your dog licks or swallows.
The bend contains yucca, silk protein and chamomile. They combat the sensitivity issues and keep the allergens away after the wash. Additionally, they also improve the lustre of the coat and keep it smooth and shiny. This shampoo locks in the moisture and keeps the skin for your pet hydrated and nourished. The quenching formula is PH balanced and relieves the dryness.
The eco-friendly shampoo bottle is recyclable. The recipe is cruelty-free.
- The shampoo has an optimal PH
- It is effective for dry and sensitive skin.
6. Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner
- Best Active Ingredients – shampoo has wonderful active ingredients that is effective for sensitive and dry skin.
- Improves the health of a coat – the shampoo improves the overall health of a coat.
- Healing properties – it has healing properties and is extremely gentle to the skin.
- Nonirritant – the shampoo is a non irritant to the skin.
This dog shampoo is a perfect option if you want oatmeal and aloe vera as the active ingredients. This shampoo is terrific when it comes to improving the overall health of the coat. It is healing and gentle on the skin. This is a natural solution for all the sensitivity issues of your dog. I
Designed to keep the cleansing hypoallergenic and itch-free. Its mild melon and cucumber scent in appealing and not sharp.
The active ingredients are delivered in nano-liposomes. These are tiny particles of goodness that carry the active ingredient right where they are needed and help them penetrate through the skin. The company uses only the constituents of superior grade. It can be your dog’s best friend in sensitive times of skin diseases and infestation.
You can always go for the refund if you are not satisfied
- It has the best ingredients.
- Suitable for all ages.
7. John Paul Pet Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs with Sensitive Skin
- Prevents itching – Skin allergies can lead to itching but with this effective shampoo, this issue can be resolved perfectly.
- Heavenly smell – one of its distinctive features is its heavenly smell.
- Good for tick and fleas – along with allergies, this shampoo is also wonderful for tick and flea.
It is a specialized sensitive formula designed for the use on cats and dogs. It is a fragrant blend to combat the sensitivity issues of all kinds. This shampoo is helpful against dry, flaky and rough fur. It works by stopping the scratching and irritation. The ingredients are also beneficial in healing the wounds. There is also a conditioning effect and moisturizes the skin.
It contains oatmeal and aloe vera that carry the cleansing effect without harsh cleaning. It has a sweet almond fragrance to keep your dog smelling fresh throughout the day. The constituents are all botanicals extracts.
There are no harmful chemicals involved in the manufacturing process. It is PH balanced formula that does not harm the skin balance.
- Optimal PH.
- Suitable for all ages.
8. 4-Legger USDA Certified Organic Dog Shampoo
- Hypoallergenic – the shampoo has brilliant hypoallergenic qualities.
- Effective for dry skin – the active ingredients of the shampoo is extremely effective for dry skin.
- Suitable for all ages – it can be used on younger puppies.
- Scented – the shampoo has an amazing smell.
In case of allergies, irritation on the skin, this solution is perfect for your dog. The blend is organic and hypoallergenic. It is made with USDA certified natural oils. The company does not comprise the health of your dog with the use of synthetic chemicals. All of its extracts are plant-based and vegan.
In addition to sensitivity, it also works in reducing the dander.
Aloe vera and lemongrass are included as an active ingredient in the blend. It has a very woody and mild smell of lemongrass. The constituents also work as natural flea treatment against the parasites. It is ideal for dry and itchy skin. The shampoo is biodegradable and non-toxic.
You can safely use it on your pups as well.
- Effective for sensitive skin.
- It prevents re-infestation.
9. Oatmeal Shampoo For Dogs
- Anti Bacterial and Anti Fungal – this wonderful shampoo is antibacterial and anti-fungal.
- Pleasant smell – using the shampoo on your pet means making it smell nice throughout the week.
- No side effect – Though it is medicated yet it has no side effects.
- Improves fur health – the shampoo improves the overall health of the dog.
This shampoo is a fantastic choice for your pups and dogs with skin issues. It leaves your dog feeling fragrant. The shampoo restores the coat and keeps it moisturized. The ingredients include oatmeal aloe and shea butter. All of these work synergistically to improve the overall skin condition.
Additionally, it also has deodorizing properties to keep your dog odor free.
The conditioning properties leave the skin feeling soft and itch-free. It is an organic product, and only natural derivatives are uses. This shampoo is a clinically designed formula, so your dog is not harmed in any way. It is equally beneficial for dogs and newborn pups.
The blend is cruelty-free. There are no traces of parabens or alcohols.
- There is no addition of harmful ingredients.
- The active ingredients prevent itching.
Various environmental and genetic factors play an important role in making a dog’s skin sensitive. There is no harm in looking for various remedies if your dog has extremely sensitive skin. However, the dilemma with topical solutions and pills is that they do not take effect immediately. On the other hand, an effective shampoo for dogs sensitive skin takes effect immediately.
Also, dog shampoos for sensitive skin have all the right ingredients at the right place that make sure of the overall health of a dog.
We have reviewed some of the amazing dog shampoos for sensitive skin. The regular use of these samples will not only heal the damaged skin cell of your dog but also ensures the overall fur quality.
There is no point in paying expensive visits to a vet when you can treat your dog with an effective dog shampoo for sensitive skin.