Do you avoid playing with your dog because of his unpleasant smell? Despite their lovable personalities, dogs are not known for the good natural smell. Their distinctive odor can be downright offensive when you go near them, and such smells leave bad impressions of visitors as these have tendencies to spread quickly throughout your home. Here the need for the best dog shampoo for smell arises. The reason is it’s only good smelling dog shampoo that can clean your dog from the pungent smell.
The best dog shampoo for odor is a formula that has natural oils and scents, can clean the skin and fur, repair the damaged layer of oil on the skin and coat, and leave a long-lasting impression with harming your dog.
There are multiple reasons dogs get smells like:
- Dirt and Grime
- Anal Glands and Gas
- Excess Oil on the Skin
- Medical Issues
When dogs become part of our home, they are more than just pets. These four-legged friends become our family. Although they can be fiery creatures when needed be, their family role is like that of a small child. This means splashing water, rolling in mud, and inferior personal hygiene. The malodor can get a little too worse when proper care isn’t given. Let’s take a look at what makes our pooches smell so bad and how we can get rid of it.
What are Natural Remedies Against Dog smell?
Several natural remedies seem to work against dog odor. The critical thing to remember is that these are hacks rather than long-term solutions. You can use them for a while, but they don’t solve the problem. Extensive cleaning may still be required for a more effective solution. Some of these hacks are as following:
- Baking soda: this powdery solution is a natural absorbent of smell. Your dog has started to stink, and you don’t have time for a bath. Give your dog a quick dry bath, so things don’t go bad very quickly. Rub baking soda will minimize the odor and absorb excess oil.
- Cornstarch: corn starch can also be used against the smell. It works like baking soda and does not pose any harm to your dog. You can sprinkle on the fur and let it take care of the smell.
- Essential oils: lavender, witch hazel, and lemongrass are pleasant smelling. These oils are useful in adding ting aroma to the dog. Please don’t use it in concentrated form as it can irritate the skin, and the smell can put off the dogs. Dilute them with water before using them.
9 Best Dogs Shampoo For Smell
As we discussed above, you need to look into the ingredients to find the best dog shampoo that can remove skin and coat odor. It will be better and healthy for your dog if you prefer to buy a shampoo made with natural ingredients.
We reviewed more than 30 shampoos and finally selected 9 shampoos that are up to standard and can deal with smells in the right way.
1. TropiClean Shampoos for Pets
- Best dog shampoo for odor – The brilliant ingredients of the shampoo ensures long-lasting fragrance.
- No side effects – The active ingredients of this shampoo contain coconut oil and papaya. These ingredients have no side effects and can be used on younger dogs.
- Keep the skin moisturized – The regular usage of this shampoo keeps the skin moisturized, preventing constant itching.
- Healthy coat – Because of the brilliant ingredients, the shampoo keeps the pet’s coat healthy and refreshing.
- Entangled hairs – if your dog has Tangled hairs. The continuous use of this shampoo will remove that.
Dogs are furry creatures, and because of furs, they are likely to get smelly very soon. When you take them for a morning walk, you can smell the terrible smell on them on the return. Let’s say you are too busy to bathe your dog. In that scenario, the dog’s smell can lead to other skin issues. It is important to keep the dog neat and clean, especially after a walk, so it does not attract pesticides.
TropiClean papaya and coconut luxury is the best shampoo for the dog’s smell. This shampoo comes with a conditioner, and together the ingredients cleanse, moisturize, and beautifully condition your pet’s skin.
Using this shampoo on your dog’s skin means helping them relax their untangled hair for easy brushing.
The most striking feature of this shampoo is that it has a sweet scent of papaya and coconut. The smell is long-lasting, and it will keep your dog refreshed and ready for cuddles.
It is safe to use on dogs because it has the perfect pH balance. Also, it is dye-free, soap-free, and even paraben-free. This shampoo ingredient is natural and safe to use directly on dogs and cats; they are 12 weeks or older.
Made in the USA, TropiClean is the perfect shampoo for grooming your dog or even cat.
The active ingredients include mild coconut cleanser, sodium chloride, purified water, mango extract, pomegranate extract, vitamin E, and colloidal oatmeal. These ingredients can make your dog’s skin healthy and disease-free. It is the best dog shampoo for smell because it has vital ingredients.
There are no side effects to the shampoo, and it can easily be applied to dogs and cats. Here is how you can use the best dog shampoo for the smell to get the best results.
- Wet the coat.
- Apply TropiClean Papaya and conditioner luxury 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner.
- Massage shampoo and conditioner well into a coat.
- Let it dry for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse with water, and you are good to go.
- The shampoo ensures healthy skin.
- It is valid for very smelly dogs.
- Good for ticks and fleas.
2. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Medicated Dog Shampoo
- It’s good for skin infections – unless your dog is healthy, it will get into a lot of smells. This shampoo is effective against various skin infections.
- Keeps your dog refreshed – A dull dog is no good. The active ingredients of this shampoo keep your dog refreshed and active throughout the day.
- It promotes healing – the shampoo has essential ingredients, and together they promote healing.
- Affordability – if you are looking for a cost-effective option, then this shampoo will serve you well.
- Fast-acting – It acts very fast and keeps your dog refreshed, active, and running throughout the day.
Sometimes dogs start smelling bad because of underlying skin issues. Let’s say your dog has a yeast infection. In that scenario, there is a possibility that it will smell awful without any particular reason. For that, this can be your best shampoo.
This veterinary-grade clinical formula helps dogs well for several harmful skin conditions. This is also the best dog shampoo for the odor that is specifically designed for dogs. The shampoo is medicated with additional anti-seborrheic properties. It is antimicrobial and antifungal, and it is effective against smells.
It is the best dog shampoo for smell because the formula does not contain chemicals that are harmful to dogs. Also, there are no trails of soap, dyes, or paraben. Because of the hydrating ingredients, it helps dogs stay moisturized throughout the day. This prevents constant itching and scratching.
As far as the ingredients are concerned, the shampoo contains coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur. All of these ingredients, with their combined effect, fight off the fungus and nourish the skin. It is very effective against smells as well.
If you want to make sure that your dog smells nicely and beautifully throughout the day, make sure you mix the shampoo in the coat. It is also an excellent idea to let the shampoo stay on the surface for 15 minutes. Rinse it afterward, and you are good to go.
- It promotes healing.
- The shampoo is terrific against various skin issues.
- Vets recommend it.
3. Fresh ‘n Clean Lambert Kay Scented Dog Shampoo
- It’s good for a shiny coat – Dogs are sensitive, and any skin issue can take the shine away from their coat. However, with this shampoo, they will have a shiny coat.
- Long-lasting smell – The most wonderful thing about this shampoo is that it has a long-lasting fragrance that lasts up to 3 weeks.
- Plant-based ingredients – The shampoo has plant-based ingredients, and there is no harm in using it.
- Keeps the dog healthy and refreshing – The application of this shampoo will keep your dog healthy and refreshing.
- Effective against fleas – If your dog has tick and flea issues, things can go very well with this shampoo.
Technically there is nothing wrong with using some natural solutions if your dog smells bad. However, sometimes it is impossible to get the desired result using just lavender oil or aloe Vera. Sometimes your dog needs more proper attention, and fresh and clean scented shampoo gives that.
It is a wonderful shampoo that gently washes dirt and grime away from your dog. When dogs go for a walk, they are likely to play in the dirt. If you let that dirt stay on your dog’s skin, it will turn into bacteria, fungus, and many other pesticides. None of us want our dogs to suffer any skin problem. To ensure that, it is imperative to keep the pet clean and neat.
Fresh n Clean is a beautiful shampoo because it has incredible plant-based cleansing agents that can potentially leave a long-lasting clean floral fragrance for 2weeks. Also, this shampoo makes the skin shiny and free of mats.
The active ingredients include disodium oleamide mea, aloe Vera gel, and sulfosuccinate. These plant-based ingredients make sure your dog keeps smelling clean and fresh for weeks.
The shampoo has gentle cleansing agents that are naturally derived. Therefore it is safe to use on even younger pets. Also, it contains vitamin E that is very good for the skin of your dog.
For better results, make sure that you wet the coat properly before applying this shampoo.
After the application of shampoo, work your way into a lather. Let the shampoo stay on the skin for 10 to 15 minutes, and then rinse thoroughly. In case you feel that your dog is getting allergic to this shampoo, you can always consider your vet. However, shampoo has all the plant-based active ingredients, and therefore it has no side effects at all.
- It is effective against flea and tick as well.
- The shampoo ensures a healthy fur coat.
- It keeps the dog refreshed.
4. PET HEAD Dirty Talk Yummy Orange Shampoo
- Neutralizes odors – the best thing about shampoo is that it eliminates smells from your dogs’ skin.
- Shiny Fur – This shampoo has all the required proteins, and that is why it is perfect for your dog’s shiny fur.
- Free of petroleum – Some shampoos are not suitable for your dog because of the inclusion of petroleum. But this shampoo is reliable because it has no petroleum.
- No side effects – The ingredients of this shampoo are harmless and pose no danger to the dog.
- Long-lasting Fragrance – this shampoo will ensure a long-lasting fragrance.
There is hardly anything repulsive about a dog except the smell. There is no possibility that your dog will not play in the mud once you take it out for a walk. As much as you would like to cuddle your dog after a walk, you probably can’t because of the smell.
But you don’t need to worry because we know of a shampoo that can be effective in this regard. This shampoo is called pet head, and it is a wonderful dog shampoo for the smell.
Having this shampoo for your dog means your dog will be smelling of citrus and peaches.
Some people think it is impossible to deodorize a dog’s smell, but when you have this splendid shampoo, everything is possible. It has all the active ingredients to deodorize the smell of mud and bacteria from your dog.
The beautiful thing about this shampoo is that it does not just cover up the smell; it removes it.
It also has active ingredients that include baking soda and Pordenone to deodorize and freshen the coat.
Other ingredients include vegetable proteins that help build body elasticity. It is made in the USA and does not include any harmful chemicals.
- The natural ingredients of the shampoo will cause no harm to your dog.
- It has no chemicals.
- It has a beautiful scent.
5. Wahl Odor Control Shampoo for Dogs
- Good for allergies – Dogs with allergies have susceptible skin. This shampoo is best for a dog with allergies because it does not contain any harsh elements.
- Perfect ingredients – The shampoo has perfect ingredients that ensure a healthy and shiny coat for your dog.
- No irritation – There are no chemicals involved in the making of the shampoo, and that’s why it is incredibly safe to use.
- Specific for dogs – It is imperative to remember that the shampoo is designed specifically for dogs and cannot be used on cats.
The environment we will live in may not be a perfect habitat for a dog. It has a lot of things that can make residue on your dog’s skin. Wahl odor control pet shampoo is the best dog shampoo for smell because it contains spearmint and eucalyptus. These ingredients make a creamy lather that cleans the environmental residue from the skin of your dog effectively. Once the dog takes a bath with this effective shampoo, you can be sure of its smooth and clean fur.
It is always good to use shampoo on a dog’s skin with natural ingredients. This shampoo can be the best choice because it has plant-derived ingredients. These ingredients are not harsh to the dog’s skin, and that’s why shampoo is an ideal choice for pet owners.
The shampoo has a perfect pH balance. It is also paraben and alcohol-free. Recommended by vets, this fantastic dog shampoo for smell is perfect for deodorizing and deep cleansing of your dog’s fur.
Another great thing about shampoo is that you do not have to use it much. Just take a small amount, make a lather, and you are good to go. It is also useful for dogs who suffer from different skin allergies.
The shampoo has a higher concentration of coconut-derived soaping agent that is effective for long-lasting fragrances.
- The shampoo is safe to use.
- It cannot be used on cats.
- It is effective against skin issues as well.
6. Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Calming Shampoo
- Calming Effects – The most striking feature of shampoo is that it has a calming effect on dogs.
- Full of lavender – The ingredients include lavender extract. Lavender will ensure a long-lasting fragrance.
- No side effects – The shampoo itself does not have any side effects.
- Safe for puppies – Because of the active ingredients, it can be used even on puppies.
- Shiny Fur – The shampoo ensures shiny fur because it cleanses the surface thoroughly.
There are so many beautiful reasons why you need to trust this fantastic dog shampoo for pet odor. Burt bees have been a pioneer in developing nature-friendly products for dogs. This brand has been working for 30 years, and in these years, it has made many beauty products for pets.
This fantastic shampoo is the best choice for your dog because it has levanter and green tea. Both these ingredients have the capability of cleaning your dog’s fur naturally. The most striking feature of this shampoo is that it has a very calming effect on dogs. Let’s say you have bathed your dog with this shampoo; you will see that it is more relaxed and clean after the bath.
The shampoo is safe to use on dogs because it has the perfect balance of PH. It works well for puppies and dogs alike.
Vets recommend it, this shampoo does not have any chemicals, and it is free of soleplates, colorants, and harsh chemicals.
The shampoo ingredients include coco glucoside, glyceryl oleate, lavender extract, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, and water. To make sure that the shampoo works its magic on your dog’s skin, apply it well on your dog’s wet coat. Work magic with your hands from head to tail. Make sure you avoid the eyes. Let the shampoo stay for 5 to 10 minutes, and then rinse with water.
- Good for ticks and fleas.
- Effective against all kinds of smells.
- It ensures healthy skin.
7. Everyday Isle of Dogs Silky Coating Dog Shampoo for Yorkies, Beagles and Spaniels
- Smooth and soft touch – The shampoo ensures that it provides a smooth and soft touch to your dog’s fur.
- De-tangles – a dull fur is full of tangles. However, the regular usage of this shampoo will untangles hair.
- The well-being of Dogs – the exotic ingredients of the shampoo ensure the well-being of dogs.
- Suitable for skin issues – if your dog is suffering from skin issues, this shampoo will tackle that.
- Suitable for damaged parts – The shampoo is perfect for damaged parts of the fur.
We will be lying if we say that we do not want to cuddle our dogs. However, the problem is, after the walk, the dogs can smell bad because of the environmental residue or other bacteria. Specific skin issues can also lead to a horrible smell in dogs. All this can be tackled effectively if you get an aisle of dogs as the best dog shampoo for the smell. Using this shampoo on your dog means making it smell of jasmine and vanilla silky coating.
It is a gentle shampoo that is not harsh to the skin of your dog. The shampoo can work its magic on your dog because it is effective and very gentle. Not only it cleanses the dog, but it also moisturizes it to prevent constant itching and scratching.
It contains water, sodium laurite sulfate, sodium chloride, caramel, and citric acid. Together these ingredients work their magic and make your dog smell nice. It has incredible moisturizing properties that ensure fur and damaged parts of the dog’s coat.
The shampoo has amazing floral Jasmine and vanilla fragrances. It softens, detangles, cleans, and moisturizes dogs well.
- The shampoo has quality ingredients.
- It takes care of damaged fur.
- No harsh chemical is involved in the making.
8. Arm & Hammer Super Deodorizing Shampoo for Dogs
- Long-lasting smell – The magic of baking soda will make sure that your dog smells nice for a long time.
- Healthy fur – is a perfect shampoo to ensure that your dog’s fur is healthy and shiny.
- Good for Fleas – The shampoo is effective against fleas and skin issues.
- Perfect pH balance – the shampoo has the perfect pH balance.
- Safe to use – it is safe to use on dogs and puppies.
As dogs grow up, they start smelling bad. The smell can result from many underlying skin issues, or maybe it is just the typical body odor of a dog. Whatever the reason, a dog’s smell is horrible, and it is imperative to take care of it.
Arm and hammer for pets is a quality shampoo for dogs that effectively neutralizes the smell. The thing that makes this brand different from the other is that it takes the magic of baking soda to neutralize dogs’ smell. The active ingredient is baking soda in this fantastic dog shampoo for the smell that ensures a refreshing and shining coat. The way this shampoo eliminates stinky coats and odor is praiseworthy.
It is an ideal choice for puppies and dogs alike because of the perfect pH balance. Also, it is excellent for pets with sensitive skin.
Carefully avoid the eyes while bathing your dog with this shampoo, and make sure you work its magic into a lather. It has all-natural ingredients and causes no harm to pets and puppies.
- The active ingredient of this shampoo is baking soda only.
- It ensures a long-lasting smell.
9. Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Formulated for neutralizing smells – the shampoo is formulated for neutralizing a different kind of smell and environmental residue.
- Honey Sage Scent – Applying this shampoo on your dog means letting it smell honey sage for weeks.
- Takes care of Damaged Fur – Because of any skin issue, if your dog is suffering from damaged fur, then the continuous use of this shampoo will take care of it.
- Effective against fleas – even if your dog catches fleas during the walk, this shampoo will take care of it.
- Refreshing – The shampoo’s active ingredients will make sure your dog is staying fresh and rejuvenated.
Imagine a surprising visit from your friend. Now imagine your friend trying to cuddle your dog but stopping midway because of the smell. You do not want this to happen because it would create a terrible impression. Dog’s smell is real, and it enhances with time without any solution. Nature’s Miracle shampoo has a perfectly enzymatic formula that eliminates the most robust pet odor. Also, the shampoo has a honey sage scent that effectively soothes the pet’s skin.
Not only it neutralizes the odors, but it also eliminates terrible smells because of related skin issues. The shampoo is based on a soap-free formula and does not include any harmful ingredients.
It has been a trusted brand for pets for 35 years, and that’s why it is reliable. The shampoo also plays an integral part in eliminating static electricity that enhances hair softness in the long run. It is formulated with an odor neutralizer and is effective against terrible smells.
There is no addition of any harmful ingredients like dyes or parabens. Also, the shampoo keeps your dog freshen for a long time. Applying this shampoo on a dog’s skin means letting it smell nice for weeks.
- The shampoo keeps the dog fresh.
- It has a fantastic Honey sage smell.
- Suitable for dogs and puppies alike.
Can Perfumes be Used on dogs?
Yes! You can use your perfume on dogs but with caution. Dogs are naturally inclined to the smell of carcasses, excreta, and dirt. Unlike us, they despise fruit and flowery scents. With perfumes, the chances are that your dog will not like the smell. It will want to go out and roll in the dust to get the smell off the fur.
Moreover, most perfumes contain ethanol. Its usage in large quantities can be harmful to dogs. The dogs are usually jittery and hyperactive. You can also accidentally end up spray it in your dog’s eyes. It would help if you used them with caution. Thus, it is best to avoid using perfumes on dogs and go for deodorants explicitly made for dogs.
Why Shampoos are the Best Option?
The remedies that we have considered do not offer long-term solutions to the smell problem. It is always essential to use a solution that is effective in giving the desired results. Thus, grooming and proper hygiene are crucial factors in keeping the unpleasant smell at bay.
Shampoos can be the best choice in this regard because they have the right ingredients in the right place. Most of the shampoos have the perfect combination of different ingredients that ensure the dog’s health. Also, these ingredients are plant-based or natural and, therefore, can be used on a dog’s skin.
In conclusion, shampoos and bathing is the best way to keep your dog clean and free from odor. This method offers thorough rinsing of the fur that removes any debris in the hair’s deeper layers. Most of these shampoos are medicated and prevent infections from happening.
They also contain mild scents that are not repulsive to dogs. In that way, you get the pleasant smelling dog without spooking your furry friend. Therefore, frequent shampooing and deep cleaning can keep your dog smell-free.
How Dogs Catch smell?
Although dogs and humans belong to the same kingdom, the animal kingdom, there are obvious differences. In contrast to humans and like other mammals, dogs are covered in a lot of furs. This thick coat of hair can accumulate dust and dirt under normal circumstances.
When we walk our dogs, they mostly roll in the mud. This activity gets them dead skin cells and certain bacterias. Without a proper bath after a walk means letting your dog catch different skin issues. The routinely shedding of skin cells can also get trapped in the layer. This can cause your dog to smell.
Moreover, dust and dirt come to a lot of microorganisms. The structure of the fur lets these tiny culprits cling and divide. These organisms feed on dead cells and sweat. Without proper grooming and baths, that population increases rapidly. In addition to that, the bacteria also produce secretions of their own. All of this can lead to a smelly dog.
Disease and broken skin can give further access to these puny culprits. These break the skin barrier and continue to increase in number. The moist epidermal conditions are even more ideal for exponential growth. Eventually, this leads to bacterial or fungal infection. As a result, oil production increases, and your dog starts to give off a musty odor.
Do Dogs Fur Produce Smell?
Like all humans, dogs also have their peculiar smell. This can vary with the breed. In some breeds, the natural odor is highly detectable and prominent in others, especially the small dogs you can barely feel. This is one of the contributing factors to the smell.
Moreover, dogs also have sweat glands. The areas not covered in furs like paws, ears, and noses have the accumulation of them. Although the secretion is not liquid like that of humans, dogs can still sweat. They also have sebaceous glands that produce oils and sebum. It keeps the coat healthy and protects against the dry environment. The sweat and sebum combined add to the odor.
One of the characteristics of carnivores is scent glands. They are located in the rear on either side of the anus. These produce secretions that other dogs recognize.
The purpose of it is to mark the territory. These scents also act as chemical signals for a mating call or a supposed danger. Sometimes these glands can get affected and produce smelly discharge. This can linger on fur for a long time and add to the smell of dogs.
Often, allergies, especially that of skin and an imbalanced or low-quality diet, can lead to dogs’ malodors.
Why Dogs in Homes Become Smelly?
The above-mentioned reasons can become the cause of your pet giving off an unpleasant odor. There are also other factors involved that contribute to their stinky fur coat.
Airy environment walks and swimming is all healthy activities for dogs. They contribute to growth and exposure. But care needs to be taken afterward. A proper bath and cleaning is a must. Otherwise, the hair coat of the dog will easily retain enough problematic constituents to cause malodor.
The definition of fun is very different for our furry friends. To them, rolling in the mud is a source of enjoyment. To us, that is just plain disgusting. They are naturally inclined to roll in mud and dirt. Clay is a diverse home for all kinds of organisms.
In addition to microscopic bacteria, fleas also live in the soil. So while your furry friend has the time of their life in mud, they can easily attach to the fur. Without quick wash or clean, they will establish permanent residence in the coat of your pet. The skin issue will develop which will eventually lead to the stench.
Dogs smell can be repulsive, and it can steal your beautiful cuddles. The smell can be because of various skin issues or natural reasons. However, it is important to tackle it effectively. Dog shampoos for smell can be effective in this regard because they have the right ingredients. We have reviewed some of the best dog shampoos for odor. Going with your preference and choice is up to you to make a choice.