Considering the type of food to give to a dog should be a vital priority to pet owners. Most foods that are highly nutritious to man could be a poison or a death sentence to a dog. Dog owners should not forget that particular food, when consumed by humans, maybe very harmful and, if not correctly given, can lead to the dog’s death.
Yes, dogs can eat crackers; but only in moderation, crackers are safe for dogs. However, when consumed excessively crackers can cause stomach problems in canines. Occasionally, you can offer this human food to your four-legged furry friend. Make sure not to make it a habit.
Some foods are also good for the dog, but only in smaller quantities and should not be consumed in larger quantities. Meals or snacks like crackers are one you can give to your dog but should be in a minimal amount.
Crackers are seen in almost every home. Some people have crackers for snacks, while some take it with tea for breakfast. Here is a question that is usually asked; “Is it safe for a dog to eat crackers”? and very simple and straightforward answer is yes.
Is it completely safe for dogs to have crackers?
Crackers are not as dangerous to your dog if consumed in minimal amounts. Your dog will not drop dead as soon as it eats crackers, but the aftermath may be a cause to worry. Crackers are generally not seen as toxic food/snack to dogs. However, they can harm the health of the dog with time if taken frequently and in excess due to the high sodium content in it.
Crackers have a high amount of sodium (salt), which may be toxic to dogs. The nutritional contents of crackers were explicitly made for human beings and not consumed by dogs. The salt (sodium) quantity in crackers is deemed fit for human beings to drink, and at the same time, is dangerous and unsafe for dogs to eat and can lead to sodium poisoning.
Sodium content: Crackers contain a lot of added salts to enhance taste, sugar, and fats. If you must give crackers to your dog, low sodium content crackers must be provided.
Common Signs and symptoms of salt (sodium) poisoning in dogs
Pet owners may not always be around to monitor their dogs and take note of what they eat. If your dog has consumed so many crackers, it has ingested so much salt into its system. However, these are signs most dogs manifest if they have ingested so much salty food. it can cause:
- Heart disease: The sodium content in crackers is enough to cause heart diseases to a dog if consumed in a large quantity. Salts are known to increase blood pressure if taken in large amounts.
- Increased thirst: Salts are known to cause dehydration. Excess salt intake can make the dog seriously thirsty and will make it drink more water to quench thirst.
Early detection of most of under listed signs can help save your dog’s life, but if ignored, it will lead to the dog’s death. You may want to seek emergency help if you notice any of these signs in your dog;
- Swelling or fluid accumulation
- Excessive thirst and urination
- Loss of appetite
- Tachycardia (increased heart rate)
What right step can you take your dog has ingested so many crackers?
If you notice that your dog has consumed so many crackers (probably in your absence), you must do the following;
- Seek emergency help: Do not call the emergency service and wait for them to come; instead, rush the dog to the vet clinic because the more time wasted, the closer your dog gets to its grave.
- Allow your dog to get admitted to the vet clinic: This will enable your dog to be monitored closely by a professional for further signs of sodium poisoning, and appropriate care rendered to the dog.
- Iv fluid administration: Intravenous fluids and oxygen will be administered to the dog to manage dehydration.
- The high sodium level in the dog will be reduced gradually. A sudden change or drop in the sodium level will lead to a heart attack or even brain swelling (cerebral edema) in the dog. This process can take up to 3-4 days to ultimately bring down the sodium level to a normal range, depending on its high sodium level.
How can you protect your dog from sodium poisoning?
Keep all high salt (sodium) contents such as crackers away from the dog. Do not give salty foods to your dog. The sugar level in crackers can get your dog disturbed by the ingested crackers and will develop the glucose level in the blood too. It will be too much for the insulin in the dog’s body to handle and, as a result, will lead to excess weight gain or obesity in the dog. Crackers may not cause any health problem to the dog, but if taken, excessively may cause:
- Dental problems
- Onset of diabetes
When it comes to dog treats, giving your dog crackers is one of the worst decisions you can make. It can slowly kill your dog without you knowing. Some dog owners run a busy schedule and may not pay attention to their dogs’ health until it becomes too late.
- Crackers may not be considered toxic to dogs if consumed in moderation. However, crackers tend to contain a high amount of sodium, which is not suitable for your dog’s health.
- Giving the dog too many crackers frequently can result in the dog’s death as a result of sodium poisoning.
- Always ensure that you carefully select crackers with low sodium content for your dog.
- Ensure also that the crackers don’t contain a high-level lot of salt or carbohydrates.
- Moderate sodium quantity should be considered when it comes to giving your dog this type of food.
- Most crackers tend to have so much sodium content, but low-sodium varieties are better for the dog and the dog’s health.
- Crackers such as Graham crackers are commonly not safe and healthy for dogs, so it is best you only give it to them in small quantities, and once in a while.
- Multigrain crackers offer numerous nutritional benefits with the vitamins and minerals they contain.
- Always ensure that you carefully look at the label on the box of crackers to know the nutritional contents before buying any to give the dog.
- There are different types of dog treats that you can purchase that look like and also taste crackers.
- The nutritional guidelines on the packs of the crackers are calculated only for humans, not for dogs.
- Dogs do not perceive foods in the same way human beings understand food. They can eat almost anything which they think is edible. It is why dog owners must make sure that the food given to them has superior quality compared to others.
- Dogs can also have the same sickness as human beings do, and they are also as a result of the type of food consumed. When eaten, unhealthy food will cause problems, even if you are a human being or a canine. Dogs rely on humans to make the best choice of food for them to eat. They are at the mercy of humans, and we must do everything possible to get them good food. Whatever that is served in their bowl is what they have to eat as they have no choice. It is the dog owners’ choice to say “no” to them when they ask for food that they shouldn’t have.
- Get information from your vet about how much salt he would recommend and okay for the dog. Most vet hospitals say a dog cannot survive more than 1.5 grams per pound of body weight, and an amount more considerable than this could kill them immediately. Some dogs are different; pet owners shouldn’t try to get close to this limit.