Can Dogs Eat Gummy Bears?

can dogs eat gummy bears

Can dogs eat Gummy Bears? Gummy bears do not look offensive, and maybe that’s why you thought it is okay to give some to your dog – but NO!

Dog and bear fighting is a medieval practice where the bear would come out as the ultimate winner. Although times have changed but not the characters, the dog has civilized into an adorable pet while the bears are minimized to the nifty miniature, called the gummy bear. Still, whenever a dog pounces on the gummy bear. The gummy bear resulted in the death of the dog.

Gummy bears contain a high concentration of Xylitol, a vital chemical essence for its preparation, which results in poisoning. Only a few grams of Xylitol is sufficient to kill a healthy 60lbs dog. It is a crystal clear proposition that no, your dog cannot eat gummy bears in any case; it is a poison. How? Let’s unroll the heads of naughty gummy bears.

You might also like our newly published herding dog food review best dog food for Australian shepherd, primarily we discuss what an Australian shepherd needs to stay in good health and nutritional needs of growing age.

Why Dogs Cannot Taste the Gummy Bears?

The problem is not with the design or with the folklore of dog-bear enmity. The issue is with the ingredients. The ingredients are all out-of-bound for the dog, such as.

  •  Xylitol is an instant killer: A few grams of Xylitol is enough to kill a livid dog. Xylitol is a chemical compound used as an emulsifier to thicken the gum. It is a crystal-like substance and a top choice for making gummy bears. Xylitol does not have immediate dangers for humans, but it is a death call for dogs due to its zero-tolerance against Xylitol.
  • Sugar is a slow poison: If Xylitol is a quick slayer, the sugar is an insidious one. It raises insulin concentration and waives the red flags against the well-being of your fur partner. Unfortunately, sugar is also a critical factor in increasing lousy blood sugar—meanwhile, constant exposure to sugar results in significant health complications.

If you wish to feed human food to your dog which you and your kids also eat and is readily available then Cheerios is the best one. A dog can eat Cheerios, it’s safe for them and it one that they can digest and can have without moderation.

How to Know that Dog has Swallowed up the Gummy Bears?

Gummy bears are not innocent little minions; they protest against their eating. If the dog is near the gummy bear jar and is now showing the following symptoms, the damage is done.

1. The Dog Might be Lethargic

This happens when the Xylitol poisoning starts affecting the dog’s senses. The dog might feel bloated and sluggish. It will not respond to your call, nor will it take part in physical activities.

The lethargy may convert into a total collapse with every passing moment.

2. The Dog is Seizing and Shrieking

The trembling, shaking, and wobbling are all telltale signs of bad health. Poisoning causes weaknesses and results in involuntary motor movements.

The dog may also stumble upon things.

3. The Heart is Running at a Speed of 200 km/hour

When a sentient consumes poison, the cells accelerate the break-and-make process. This requires more energy and more oxygen.

The heart pumps at full throttle, and it says that something is fishy.

4. The Dog Throws Out

The dog may kick out all the body vigor either by diarrhea or vomiting. Unstable health does not allow the consumption of an iota of food, and the dog’s life seems in imminent danger.

This way, the dog might also be dehydrated and wilted to the core.

5. Total Collapse

The gummy bear’s half-eaten packet is perched nearby, while the semi-chewed bears smirk with a typical schadenfreude. Above all, the dog is not responding.

The factors of a mourning equation are completed. It’s time to rush towards the vet; time is sweeping away.

Remedies for Dogs When they Consume Gummy Bears?

can dogs eat gummy bears

As your dog has poked its nose into the bears, the gummy wrath is awaited. You cannot leave the dog at the mercy of Xylitol-laden gummy bears, and you may opt-in to two strategies to counter the threat to some extent.

Rush to the Vet Only the vet can do something beneficial in this scenario; that is why the doctor is considered an image of God, well, no more theologies. The vet might resort to a stomach wash. The treatment can be painful for the dog, so can for you. But it is vital to have the life of the dog. Xylitol poisoning can kick out the bucket anytime.

Try to Make Your Dog Vomit This is a home ready for its harms. Well, a couple of hydrogen peroxide teaspoons might help in relieving the mutt from the eating menace. The minion bugs are laughing, and the dog is vomiting; what a pity.

What Your Dog is Not Reacting to Gummy Bears?

There is quite a possibility that you hear someone say.

“My dog has been consuming gummy bears for a long time, but it has been okay as of now. Should I worry?”

Sometimes there is a possibility that dogs do not show any reaction to gummy bears. Even if the condition is not apparent for a longer time, Maybe an internally gummy bear is creating havoc.

Dogs Can Become Obese With Gummy Bears

A bumpy, bloated dog is a dud. A bulky dog calls procrastination home; it might also be a couch potato.

Sum it up; a big fat dog is never a choice of a conscious pet-parent.

Just Like Us, Dogs Can Be Diabetic

Among many other similarities, dogs are also caught up in diabetes as the insulin level highs. Diabetes is a Pandora’s box of many ills.

Gangrene surgery is horrific to even think about, which is why our forefathers have concluded, “Prevention is better than cure.”

The Dog’s Heart is Disheartened

This is not Cupid’s quiver that has perished in your pet’s heart. It’s the gummy bear-and-stick preferential treatment that is wreaking havoc.

Upon consistent exposure to the gummy bears, the dog is left out with a broken to the bone heart.

Brain Hemorrhage and Stroke

The dog is under the dangling Damocles sword of brain hemorrhage given the high sugar concentration in the blood.

The sugary fats accumulate in the wafer-thin veins and block the way of blood. This results in stroke or brain hemorrhage. Either way, the dog would go into utopia, far away from you. The rest would be history.

How Ugly is the Look of a Tooth Cavity

You come home, and a broad smile from your puppy welcomes you. The love for your dog increases manifold, and the serene relationship goes on.

Nevertheless, life turns ugly when the same dog welcomes you with a horrific black and blue teeth line. Thanks to gummy bears.

Pancreatitis and Allergies

A persistent diet of xylitol, sugar, and hypoglycemia does not make your dog a Good Samaritan. The days of your dog are numbered.

Let the pet owners count on their fingertips thanks to the accompanying diseases, allergies, and flu.

My dog is Addicted to Gummy Bears; What to Do?

There are plenty of delicate items on Zeus’ horn-of-plenty. Why stick with this little menace of giggling gummy bears? The below-mentioned substitutes might be a good try.

Mini Carrots or Carrot Slices

Red carrots are highly beneficial for the dog. It builds stamina and helps in maintaining wholesome health.

Carrots are also a cheaper solution to the taste buds of the not-so-canine.

An Apple, a Day, Keeps the Vet Away

Apple slices help fulfill the nutritional values of the mutt. The apples are rich in fiber, iron, and zinc. Nevertheless, the small seeds should be removed, and the apple should also be peeled to get the optimal benefits.

As the seeds of the apple are toxic.

The Dog Loves Bananas

The dog loves the banana taste and fragrance. Elegantly cut slices of banana may satiate the taste buds of the bears’ addicted dog.

The banana slices are fluffy and contain a high nutritional value in stark contrast to zero nutrition gummy bear.

Cabbage Leaf’s – A Good Substitute

Cut the cabbage leaves finely and throw it in front of the dog. The dog will love green. Cabbage has a robust nutritional value that is highly suitable for the dog.

Nonetheless, overeating might cause flatulence and gastronomical disorders.


Baby gummy bears seem innocent yummy souls; hence, the dog might select the softer-than-marshmallow target to relish the bland taste buds. Nevertheless, the gummy bears are enriched with Xylitol, the anathema for the dog.

Upon eating, the dog might feel dizziness, wobbling, vomiting, and lethargy. This all occurs owing to the Xylitol poison, so if the dog has come up with the gummy bears, the Pet-parent should rush to the vet as soon as possible.

The belated approach may be fatal for the dog and haunting for the pet parent.

Can Dogs Eat Mcdonald’s? McDonald’s burgers can be ok feed to your dog (without cheese, onion, pickles, and sauces), providing it’s just the meat patty part.