Can Dogs Eat Ketchup The Human’s Favorite Table Condiment?

can dogs eat ketchup

Mrs. Katharine has bought herself a dog; she had no idea about its food. She was into KFC and chicken stripes, so by the time she was eating her lunch, she shared some with her dog, Katy.

The dog licked the ketchup with great relish, and nothing happened in an hour or two. However, after 3 hours, the dogs started having dangerous fits. It was rolling on the floor because of great stomach distress, and that was when Mrs. Katherine got to know that her dog had reacted to ketchup.

A small kid is hidden inside every dog, and this kid frolics with marvel after seeing something glittery. If the thing sounds edible, it deserves an urgent lap of saliva, and the poor item flushes down the drain in a go.

What could be more flashy and tangy than the ever-present condiment, ketchup? Ketchup is prone to be the morsel of your dog owing to its all-time availability.

Ketchup is commonly present in every kitchen, a top choice for kids and adults as an appetizer with crispy edibles. The biggest question of this millennium is, can dogs eat ketchup? Let’s uncork this splash.

We recently reviewed the Best wet dog food to mix with dry available on a separate page that you may like.

No, Dogs Cannot Eat Ketchup

Indeed, dogs cannot eat ketchup, and this NO is a logical one. Ketchup is not naturally concomitant to the delicate dog stomach. In comparison, it has zero nutritional value for the dog, particularly.

Besides, the ingredients involved in the making of ketchup are harmful and, in some cases, toxic for your adorable pet. In the following sections of the blog, we will answer this NO briefly.

What are Harmful Ingredients of Ketchup?

There are many people like Mrs. Catherine who have no idea about the side effects of Ketchup.

Ketchup is made up of onions, cinnamon, garlic, sugar, and salt. Not all the products are not a have for the dog, and excessive doses might land the dog in serious trouble. Although the dog can bear the moderate doses of the edibles mentioned above, the thing that makes it extremely harmful is Xantham gum’s inclusion. 

Xantham gum is used as a thickening and flavoring agent in ketchup but has adverse effects on sentient beings.

The Ingredients of Catch up are Big No for Dogs

Let’s go into the ingredients’ depth and determine the potentially harmful effects of the ingredients mentioned above on the dog’s body.

  • Onion The onion includes toxic elements called N-Propyl disulfide. The very essence causes the dog’s red blood cells and renders the dog anemic. Another aspect, thiosulfate present in the onion, is indigestible for the dog. Given these aspects, the onion seems like a recipe for disaster for the dog’s delicate system.
  • Cinnamon — Another vital element of ketchup is cinnamon. Cinnamon is a spicy herb to enhance the flavor of ketchup. While excessive, eating cinnamon would result in stomach and liver failure for the dog.
  • Garlic As per the Merck Veterinary Manual, the garlic also contains thiosulfate, which the tender dog stomach cannot process. Thiosulfate results in the accumulation of raw thiosulfate and, finally, wounds inside the small and large intensive, leading towards stomach cancer. 
  • Sugar — Sugar is used as a flavoring appetizer in ketchup. In contrast, sugar is the major source of natural carbohydrates. It can do the same harm to the dog as it inflicts on humans. Sugar is an underlying cause of diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular diseases.
  • Salt — Excessive intake of the salt to the dog could lead to sodium ion poisoning. At the same time, it could prove toxic in the long run, while the short-term effects are sharp, thirst, diarrhea, and bloating.
  • Xantham If you number the ingredients’ toxicity in ascending order, the Xantham will be placed number one. This bad food product adds up to ketchup to make it dense and ketchup-like.

Why are Dogs Likely to Get into Allergies and Anemia After Consuming Ketchup?

It is important to see that Ketchup is not an issue here; it’s the ingredients. Once this thing is in the stomach of the dog, it is going to growl with pain. We should not forget about Mrs. Katherine, who got into trouble with the ketchup right after she bought herself a beautiful dog.

Hemolytic anemia, vision, bowel disorders, and skin allergies can arise out of excessive ketchup consumption. The human stomach may bear a little wear and tear, but it is unbearable for the dog.

As we have closely examined the ketchup ingredients, these are the main components’ elements, making it a bad eating choice for the dog.

For example, N-Propyl disulfide in onions breaks down healthy red blood cells and makes the dog anemic.

Other substances like thiosulfate, salts, and bad enzymes open up Pandora’s box of chain allergic reactions.

Can Dogs Eat Hummus? Ingredients of Hummus are toxic to dogs, and therefore dogs can’t consume Hummus.

Potential Risks for Your Dog if he Consumes Ketchup

After consuming the splashing ketchup, the dog is not likely to die unless it consumes the ketchup with the polythene packing. Nevertheless, the dog would experience some immediate disorders, such as.

The ketchup laden dog will experience unconventional motor movements

Trembling, seizing, and stumbling are the dog’s most common occurring ailment signs after the ketchup party. The horrific scenes depict the dog as a rabies hit.

The delicate organs would swell

Dogs may experience swelling of vital organs. These are signs of debilitating health. Because of bulging, the dog may be experiencing excruciating pain. The swelled mouth and nasal opening would block the air and food passage of the dog. 

Your pet will act clumsily

Once injected with ketchup, the dog might act insane. This happens because of the affected vision and weak muscles. The dog’s gait would be clumsy and shaky.

Your pet’s wilted body

One of the pet’s deteriorating health ramifications is a soaked-up body with a bottom-low energy line. This happens when beneficial particles are exerted owing to bowel disorder and the dog feels dehydrated.

How to Know Dog is Reacting to Ketchup?

If the dog has incidentally or deliberately consumed the ketchup, you must look into the following signs.

The signs will slow as the ketchup is not an instant poison; it breaks away from the canine’s immune system slowly but gradually. The possible signs would be.

The Dog Stops Eating

This shows the struggle of goods and bad inside the dog’s bowel. The dog feels bloated and refuses to take food.

This confirms that something wrong has been done to the poor fur baby. In the worst-case scenario, the dog even denies having potable water.

The Dog Seems Lethargic and Lazy

The dog is not active at all. It seems sluggish and a victim of procrastination. This happens when the dog could not muster enough energy to do routine tasks owing to the harm done by the ketchup.

The dog would stay isolated with a lazy posture.

Gums are Pale

Once you sneak into the mouth of the dog after consuming ketchup, you will find the pale and jutted gums. This is confirmation that the ketchup has wreaked havoc.

The Urine is Reddish

The urine becomes harsh red owing to the super spicy liquids. The dog may also feel a burning sensation during urination.

Is Tomato Sauce a Better Option?

According to the U.S.A.’s Department of Agriculture, the average American consumes more than 22 pounds of tomato serum. Tomato is a popular fruit-cum-vegetable to be included in ketchup.

Like any other ketchup variant, tomato ketchup has the same adverse effects on the tender dog body. Tomatoes are one of the night shed plants’ family products. The acidity inside tomatoes makes it not a recommended food for the dog.

Simultaneously, over-consumption can cause wild effects like bowel disruption, debilitating health, and clumsy body.

Nevertheless, a moderate quantity is suitable for skin nourishment thanks to the addition of rich vitamin C. Still, tomato ketchup is out-of-bound for the dog. If your dog loves tomatoes, do arrange the fresh and pulpy tomatoes for it.

What to Do if Your Dog Accidentally Licks Ketchup?

It will be troubling for a conscious pet parent if the dog is displaying signs of irritation. You may adopt three strategies according to the circumstances.

  • If the dog seems calm Suppose the dog is calm and quiet right after emptying a bottle full of sauce. It would help if you applauded the resilient immunity and stone-crushing gut of the dog. Let the captain go for poop. Everything will be better soon.
  • If the dog sniffs and shows mild irritation symptoms — Mineral oil mixed up with food may help heal the disturbed bowels. This way, you must observe the state of the dog. If the health deteriorates, you must rush to the third step.
  • The dog is belching and burping while the ketchup packet is missing — This is the worst-case scenario and depicts that the dog has swallowed the not-so-good ketchup with extremely harmful plastic packing. It is time to call the vet or undertaker. Rush in a hurry. 

Curtain Close

We are done with a complete review of ketchup as an eating choice for the dog. The future results corroborated with the thesis statement, which was against the intake of ketchup. The ingredients inside the ketchup bottle are unsuitable for the dog. If a dog consumes ketchup accidentally, it will experience short-term signs of debilitation.

While in the long run, the same factors can be fatal. If your dog comes up with unconscious over-consumption of the ketchup, the dog is likely to show conspicuous symptoms, and then you must act according to one of the three healing ways suggested above.

Finally, it is also established that tomato sauce is not an exception. Leave aside the tomato; had the gold been included in ketchup, the ramifications would be the same severe.

Can Dogs Eat Jalapenos? No, the digestive system of dogs is different from humans.