Like us, dogs are massive fans of Tofu, but can they consume it? (can dogs eat tofu?) Well, Tofu has ingredients that may not be suitable for the stomach of your furry friend. The best scenario in this regard is to say no to your dog if it is yearning for Tofu. However, there is no harm if the dog has it as a treat in small amounts, only sometimes.
Your little best friend, your adorable fluffy dog, is quite greedy when it comes to food. Dogs can’t help themselves when they come across anything that can be eaten. Even after eating their meal wholeheartedly, they will still have room for some more snacks. What they do not understand is that not every food is right for them. This is where your responsibility is demanded.
Your dog is not going to say no to any food. When it comes to delicious food like Tofu, dogs cannot take care of themselves because all they care about is food with which they can stuff their mouths and not its side effects. Factually seeing dogs have sensitive stomachs and nature. Giving something that is not suitable for your dog’s stomach means putting your feline friend in high-risk. Like Tofu may cause:
- Bloated abdomen
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive drooling
- Pale nose or mouth
The food that you can eat without any trouble may cause some hormonal imbalance in your dog when he eats it. That is why you cannot just feed them your regular diet or meals. Dogs are susceptible to food allergies more often than you can even imagine. Precautions must be taken before giving them something new to eat.
What is Tofu?
Here are some important facts about Tofu, these will help you to decide its effectiveness for your dog;
- Tofu is soy.
- Soy is a significant allergy trigger in dogs.
- Food originated in china.
- To prepare it, first, the coagulation of soy milk is done. Later, it is pressed into solid white blocks of varying softness.
- Some people call it bean curd.
- It’s rich in protein and fiber.
- Used as a meat substitute by vegans but the same is not applied for dogs.
- Excessive consumption can be life-threatening, it causes hormonal imbalance and an upset stomach.
- You may offer your dog Tofu in the shape of treats but only sometimes, do not make it a routine.
- From cancer to thyroid issues, from mildly irritating to life-consuming problems, tofu can become a grim reaper for your dog.
On the Safe Side How Much Tofu Can your Dog Consume on a Daily Basis?
If you wish to feed your dog the Tofu then you must do moderation that is the only key to prevent the side effects of Tofu. It is a food that is high in protein as well as it’s extremely healthy and well-moderated quantity can bring your really good results like it contains:
Tofu contains soy ingredients so you cannot possibly give it to your dog on a daily basis. Sometimes the tiniest amount of tofu-like 1 gram to five grams can be given to your dog. You must remember that most of the dogs are allergic to tofu and it can trigger intense reactions. Most of the time it is always a better idea to keep your dog away from tofu.
What are the Benefits of Tofu if My Dog Can Consume it Without Side Effects?
Like other foods, it also has health benefits but the bigger answer to the question “Can Dogs Eat Tofu?” is still not as advantages are very limited and may only rare dogs get benefits in real because at one side it is benefiting on the ride it is causing problems that can deteriorate your dog’s health. Here are three prime benefits:
- Tofu may be a healthy diet your dog suffering from food allergies.
- Tofu is liver friendly for dogs.
- Good for dogs having bladder stones.
Possible Side Effects of Tofu Consumption for Your Dog
The list of side effects is too long for dog intaking Tofu on a regular basis but on an occasional basis if your dog eats more then that he can consume then you might see under-listed side effects:
- Allergies: Since soy is a source of significant allergy triggers in most dogs, it is not the right choice at all. From being mild to being extremely severe, allergies can cause several issues that are hard to resolve. The allergies caused by this food cause various diseases that are associated with the stomach. Even hives and anaphylaxis are caused by bean curd. You do not want your dog to lick itself all day long. Soy allergies can also cause excessive licking in dogs, which can become a habit later on, and they won’t stop doing it no matter what. In order to avoid this from happening, the best solution is to keep your dog at a distance from Tofu.
- Bloating: According to research done by the American Kennel Club, those dogs who consume meals that include soy, fats, or oil are four times more likely to suffer from bloating than regular dogs. You cannot be sure how Tofu will affect your dog as its effect varies from dog to dog. In some, it only causes a mild case of gas, while in others, it causes severe cases of bloating. Because of the bloating caused by Tofu, your pet will have a bloated stomach, but he may find it hard to breathe. Also, it can lead to excessive vomiting and diarrhea, as well. In addition to this, excessive drooling may also happen because of it.
- Hair loss: Your dog may start shedding hair more rapidly than before because of this soy block. Hair loss is another side effect that comes with feeding your dog with tofu. You do not want your furry friend to go bald and lose all its charm and beauty. To avoid it, you need to keep it away from soy-based products, especially tofu, as it brings the hair loss complication. A loss of hair in dogs is a serious problem and caution is a must in this situation.
- Ear infection: An ear infection is another leading issue that dogs can develop after consuming tofu or other soy-based products. Although not all dogs may suffer from it, it is a risk that should not be taken. Why would you want to add soy or tofu in your dog’s diet if you are so uncertain about the problems that it can cause? You must save yourself from the havoc that tofu can bring and keep your pet away from it instead of giving yourself a reason to go to the vet and get your dog some ointment or drops.
What to Do When the Dog Accidentally Consumes Excessive Amount of Tofu?
Dogs are greedy and they can eat anything they can lay their hands on. If your dog accidentally eats an excessive amount of tofu and starts suffering from reactions then it is time to take it to a vet.
You must remember that you are not supposed to give any relative pill or treatment to your dog unless it is recommended by the vet.
How you will know that your dog needs vet?
An excessive amount of Tofu will lead your dog to vomit and upset stomach. When you see that your dog is vomiting then it is time to keep it hydrated. Sometimes by simply keeping your dog hydrated would help it. If the situation persists then it is time to take your dog to a vet.