Dog kennels may be built-in gardens for UK residents with an animal boarding license from their local council, provided they have one. If you want to obtain one of these documents, you must appear before the council and declare that you intend to operate a kennel from a private home.
While in the united states, most municipalities have rules that dogs can not be kept in home kennels, While many municipalities allow running kennels in homes, some localities have ordinances prohibiting the construction of dogs kennels on private property. Others do not allow them at all.
Pre-planning is important before building a kennel, as it’s vital to determine whether you might be allowed to set up a dog kennel in your house or garden. To get an animal boarding license, you must present your plan for the kennel to your local council.
Imagine the perfect garden, with a beautiful green lawn and all sorts of flowers. Now imagine those flowers being trampled by your dog as he runs around during the day. Unfortunately, this is an issue many pet owners face daily.
Can I Have Dog Kennels In My Garden? The answer to this question has been debated for years now, but we’re going to take a look at it from both sides and see what might work best for both you and your pets!
Do You Need Planning Permission for a Dog Kennel??
The answer is yes. To build a kennel in your garden, you need planning permission and an animal boarding license. You can’t just go ahead and start building without proper documentation.
You will have to apply for both of these documents, but exactly what kind of information you will be required to give the council varies depending on the type of kennel you are planning.
Generally, if you plan to have a simple dog kennel in your garden, surrounded by secure fencing, and this building will not be used for boarding any other animals, you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting the necessary documentation.
But if you are planning to run a larger business with multiple dogs, it’s more complicated.
How to Use Your Garden for Dog Kennel Effectively?
To have your own kennel in the garden, you need some space for it. You can put the dog beds on the grass or other plants, but usually, people prefer their dogs are kept in closed kennels.
There is no specific requirement and size about a dog kennel, so as long as you claim you need a kennel, have the planning permission, and an animal boarding license, you should be able to get it.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Be sure to build a sturdy foundation for your kennel; even the smallest dog can break through the dirt if they’re determined enough.
- Keep checking with your council, as laws and regulations about animal boarding could change at any time.
- Find a shelter for the kennel, even if it doesn’t rain where you live all year round. A dog kennel needs shade and protection from elements like wind or heat.
- Always remember to keep your garden tidy when you have a dog kennel. This will ensure your dogs can run freely and not get tangled in any plants or waste.
- Place your dog kennel somewhere where all the dogs can see one another. It’s a good idea to place it near the house, so you don’t have to walk them too far when they need food and water.
- Avoid placing a kennel near any large trees that will drop leaves or produce fruit.
- Make sure you have good fencing to keep your dogs in and stop other animals from getting in.
- Remember that a dog kennel is not just for outside; if you plan on leaving them alone inside while you go to work, place the kennel in the living room or a bedroom so your dog has company.
- Remember to have fun with it! The kennel doesn’t need to be just for work; that’s what holidays are for!
- Place the kennel in the garden and keep your dogs inside for some “quality time.”
- You can train your dog to be comfortable with a kennel, but this isn’t always easy.
If you want to have a large-sized kennel built in your garden, you should definitely consider planning permission.
Pets aren’t just like normal things that can be kept anywhere; they’re living beings and need certain conditions to be healthy.
Pet Houses in The Garden Might Be A Safe Place for Your Dogs?
Building a kennel might not always be practical if you have limited space in your garden or the council won’t allow it. However, you could look at an alternative option which is to build a pet house instead.
These are a small, cozy shelter for your dog, and they’re straightforward to maintain. You can even choose a design yourself from several available online.
Pet houses are great because they usually have glass windows that allow you to keep an eye on your dogs while they sleep, and their size means that you can take them with you when you’re going on holiday.
It might be a good idea to have both a pet house and an outdoor kennel in your garden, so if one gets damaged or dirty, the other can still be used.
If you want to increase the security of your dogs, you can add an electronic fence.
Electronic fences are a good option if your garden is big because they allow you to keep your dog inside or outside, depending on how far from the house it is.
These fences will deliver a static correction when your dog reaches the pre-determined boundary without you having to be there at all times.
This kind of fence is also a good option if you often have the house to yourself and want your dog to be kept safely inside.
Where Should I Put My Dog Kennel Outside?
If you’ve decided to build a kennel, the next step is finding a suitable place for it.
Please don’t put your dog’s house in an awful spot with limited sunlight or where they’re likely to get disturbed by people walking past the garden.
You might want to choose somewhere under a tree that will provide shade and cool air, but make sure that there are no falling fruit or leaves.
It would help if you also tried to find the spot where the kennel will receive maximum sunlight; this way, your dogs will stay warm on colder days.
It’s a good idea to place the kennel near the house if you know you’ll leave your dog alone for a few hours so that they won’t feel frightened.
When you have several dogs, it’s a good idea to place the kennel close to the house and give them as much space as possible. This way they’ll be able to see each other and will have company while alone at home.
If you leave your dogs in their outdoor kennel while you go to work, make sure you choose one that’s big enough for them to move around and play with their toys.