Grooming your pet is not only cleaning, but yes, cleaning is an utmost important factor that counts to keep them healthy. Itching and dryness in dogs cause scratching and licking that may result in red spots, flakes, and smells. Ultimately these symptoms make it difficult time with your four-legged family member. Here comes the need of best dog shampoo for itchy skin to keep your dog healthy and make them feel loved.
The best dog shampoo for dry and itchy skin at first heal the natural layer of oil, remove and clean the elements that cause the itching and dryness as well as provide healthy elements to skin and coat to improve the overall skin and coat conditions.
There are so many breeds that have a strong immune system to fight with skin problems, but many dogs develop sensitive skin, and they need special treatment and care. In both cases, either its itchy or dry skin, dog shampoo is the first remedy and top line of defense.
What Causes Itching and Dryness in dogs?
Your dog deserves proper care, especially when it comes to hygiene. It is a fact that dogs groom themselves to some extent, and for home dogs, something extra always required as they have to interact with humans all the time. They need to stay clean and non-smelly; bathing is the central part of their cleanliness.
Inflamed skin, damaged hair and foreign particles can make their skin dry and itchy. Here are the main causes of itching in dogs;
- Staph or Yeast Infections
- Food Allergies
- Seasonal Allergies
- Low Humidity
- Hormonal imbalances
Less hydrated food or less consumption of water are the reasons that lead to dry skin. Changing to hydrated food or increasing the intake of water take time.
The only immediate solution and tool that can help your dog on an urgent basis is a good quality anti-itching dog shampoo. These shampoos are formulated with multiple ingredients that strengthen the skin and provide a lush coat as well as eliminate the itching and dryness of the skin.
30 Best Dog Shampoo for Itchy Skin
Allergies and dryness are not complex to deal if you take pre-cautionary measure in the very start. When you found that your dog is suffering with allergy or dry skin you need to shift to best dog shampoo for dry itchy skin to heal the problem. To make decision making process easy for you we evaluate more than 100 shampoo and while following our strict criteria we only found 30 shampoos which are up to standard.
1. Burt’s Bees For Dogs Natural Itch Soothing Shampoo
- Soften and Sooth the Skin: it cleans, softens, and soothes itchy and dry skin with its natural skincare ingredients.
- All Natural: made with high-quality natural ingredients like honeysuckle that gently cleanse.
Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Itch Soothing Shampoo is a most recommend solution for itchy and dry skin, its effective and priced reasonably. Gently it restores the natural conditions of skin and coat. A PH-balanced formula that is formulated to for all age dogs and puppies.
Shopping for the best dog shampoo for itching and dry skin is not an easy job because you do not know the exact reason of itching. So, a shampoo that dogs’ owners are using already and recommended by vets comes as a first choice.
Keep in mind it’s a safe formula for all ages and breed, its free form colorants and harsh chemicals.
- Vet recommended
- Rick in nourishing vitamins
- No soaps, parabens, and alcohol
- Effective against dandruff
- Contains essential oil, formulated for itchy, dry and allergic skins
- Safe for use on other pets
- Nothing found not to love.
2. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Medicated Dog Shampoo
- Fast Acting Formula: contains coal tar for the quick action and micronized sulfur to treat the skin.
- Gentle Healing: it’s effective against common skin diseases and allergies, can heal fungal and bacterial infections.
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Medicated Dog Shampoo is for those dog owners who want to heal their dogs quickly and without harming them. The good thing about this anti-itching dog shampoo is; its recommended by dozens of vets and thousands of dog owners and professionals to trust this shampoo to deal with itchy and dry skin.
The formula is an ant seborrheic medicated shampoo that is soap-free and made for sensitive skin. Its relieving capacity is ideal for allergic and itchy skins and a blessing for dogs with sensitive skin. Veterinary grade ingredients provide it the power to heal the skin and eliminate inflammation, which causes irritation and itching.
We recommend it as effective and affordable formula.
- Best to treat seborrhea and scaling skin
- Effectively heal infections
- Made to diminish greasy skin, rashes, dandruff, inflammation and itching
- Increase level of hydration to deal with dry skin
- Affordable one
- Not a organic Shampoo
3. Paws & Pals 5-In-1 Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
- Quality Shampoo: heal your dog without compromising, made with balanced essential oils.
- Veterinarian Recommended: Oatmeal moisturize and soothe the skin gently this is the reason its recommend by vets for quick comfort.
Paws & Pals 5-In-1 Oatmeal Dog Shampoo is a balanced formula that is made to clean and deodorize the itchy and dry skin. The dog care regimen recommends the Formula. We recommend it as the best skin and coat care treatment that your dog deserves as your companion.
When we compare it with the other products available, we find that its best treatment in the market which is available without a prescription. Aloe and pro-vitamin B5 are ingredients that assist in hydrating and healing; in the long term, it protects the skin and coat of dogs.
As a treat free soapless formula its safe for dogs above 4 weeks, oil and vitamin extract have nonirritant and non-inflammable characters.
- Contains aloe, oats, and essential oils
- Tear less and non-toxic formula
- Recycled and environment safe material
- Relieves itchy, dry, inflamed skin
- Contain artificial fragrance and sulfates that may react in some dogs
4. Anti Itching Dog Shampoo for Dry Itchy Skin
- Natural Choice: a fresh scented dog shampoo that soothes and eliminates itching immediately.
- Good Moisturizer: not only it moisturizes the dehydrated skin it also repairs skin, promotes healing, and restores shine.
Your search for best dog shampoo for itchy skin surely end here, because the product in the spotlight is a mother nature medicated dog shampoo. Formulated to heal itchy skin, it quickly soothes the skin and promotes overall good skin conditions, leave the coat soft, shiny, and manageable.
Aloe Vera, Manuka Honey, and Chamomile are its active ingredients that truly fight with the allergies and itch causing elements and promote the growth of hairs. A good remedy against dog allergies, hot spots, bug, and flea bites as well as effective against irritations.
This GMO-free dog shampoo for dry itchy skin is proudly made in the USA. If you dogs have a sensitive skin and he always remain busy in scratching and licking that means he is more prone to allergies and you need a best dog shampoo for itching for his grooming sessions.
We recommend it for dry and itchy skin as well as for dogs with food allergies, grass, and flea bites. It’s a mild formula with almond oil and vitamins that provide energy to skin and result in a soft and tangle-free coat. While mild structure makes it soft for frequent use.
- Formulated to stop and cure itching
- Made for pets with itchy and dry skin
- Removes tangles
- No alcohol, fragrance or added colors
5. Doggie Dailies 2 in 1 Dog Shampoo for Dry, Itchy Skin
- 2 in 1 Dog Shampoo: sweet and subtle coconut scented dog shampoo and conditioner for rich leather.
- Relieve Dry and Itchy Skin: provide relief and soothe dry and itchy skin, suitable for any kind of coat.
Doggie Dailies dog shampoo is ideal if there is a need to deal with the itchy, dry skin and smells, it will leave even the smelliest dogs smelling fresh. Perfect shine and deep cleaning are its features, which you will notice after the very first wash.
The shampoo contains organic ingredients without artificial fragrance and added colors, a PH-balanced and soap-free formula for all age and type of fur. We found this formula effective because it combats with itching conditions, odors, dirt, and insects as well.
Just the first few washes will bring the desired results and keep in mind that just one wash will significantly decrease the scratching and licking in your dog. Moreover, its priced reasonably, and a single bottle will last for months.
- pH balanced and soap-free formula
- Safe for frequent use
- Biodegradable and cruelty-free
6. PET HEAD Life’s An Itch Soothing Shampoo Helps Dry Itchy Skin
- Watermelon scented: its different hardy you can find any other watermelon scented; it makes dog fresher than other scents.
- Shampoo for All Dogs: this eco-friendly and PH-balanced dog shampoo can be used for all breeds and all ages.
Dogs love to stay near to nature and this shampoo helps them enjoy nature. It is a unique dog shampoo that comes with a watermelon scent. It will amaze you when you use it the first time and this is a smell that will keep your dog fresh for a longer time.
Treating itchy and dry skin is easy with the use of this shampoo, tree oil, vitamins, wheat proteins, and chamomile strengthen hair follicles and skin.
We recommend this formula as the most PH-balanced formula to save your dogs from licking, swallowing, and irritation. Great for itchy pups and also beneficial to get healthy skin and a lush coat, also useful against insect bites. It is the best dog shampoo for itchy skin.
- Suitable for sensitive and normal skin
- The soap-free formula that minimizes itch
- Acts as an insect repellant
7. Petpost Oatmeal & Chamomile Shampoo for Dogs with Dry Skin
- First Five Ingredients: Sodium Benzoate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Red 40, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.
- For Happy Puppies: it’s a combination of organic oils and medicated elements, provides quick relief, and heals the skin and coat.
Petpost Oatmeal & Chamomile Shampoo for Dogs with Dry Skin is ideal for those dogs who need a quick recovery. Thanks to its medical-grade ingredients which provide immediate relief and start healing the skin, as well as keep the allergens away that cause itch and irritation to dogs.
Ideal for dogs that suffer from seasonal allergies, effective against sensitive skin. It’s soothing ingredients perfectly work on any time of skin and fur. Continuous use of this shampoo keeps your dog safe from future itch attacks. It keeps irritants and allergens away from the dog and provides manageable fur and healthy skin.
We recommend it for seasonal allergies because it eliminates itching quickly, ideal to use regularly during peak allergy season.
- Effective against seasonal allergies
- Combination of organic and medicated ingredients
- Keep the insects away
8. Puracy Dog ShampooMoisturizing Biotin & Oatmeal for Itchy Skin
- Human Grade Shampoo: human-tested plant-powered cleanser and moisturizer for furry friends.
- Formulated for Household Pets: aloe and oatmeal improve shine, provide softness, and manageable fur.
A superior dog shampoo that is made and tested to be a human-grade shampoo, coconut-derived ingredients provide energy to the skin and coat. The best dog shampoo for dry skin that acts quickly. A mixture of natural and biodegradable as well as tearless ingredients.
We recommend it to clean and soothe the skin of itchy dogs, it strongly provides a defense to allergy-prone skin. Free from all type of soap and irritants, parabens and phosphates.
It naturally moisturizes skin and also repairs the damaged skin, features natural ingredients that quietly repair the natural layer of oil on the skin of dogs.
- No alcohol, fragrance or added colors
- pH balanced and soap-free formula
- Safe for frequent use
9. EQyss Micro-Tek Pet Anti Itching Dog Shampoo
- Veterinarian Recommended: a pure non-toxic formula that is recommended by the top vets of our country.
- Soothes Itchy Skin: it provides relief from itchy skin and removes odors and effectively cures hot spots.
Many of the dog owners think that it is miraculous to heal the dog skin with the shampoo, they are in the view that medicine that a dog can intake can help in a better way. But the reality is opposite a shampoo can be a perfect remedy to heal the skin and coat, as well as a solution to keep the irritants and away and prevent insects from infesting again.
You need to trust the shampoos they contain ingredients they can completely eliminate the itching and irritants that cause itching and dry skin. The best dog shampoo for itchy skin.
The dog shampoo is an ideal remedy to get ride of inching and dry skin and allergen that causes excessive scratching to dogs. The perfect formula is a result of extensive testing and experimenting. We recommend it as the most effective anti-itching dog shampoo.
- Non-toxic and safe from dogs
- Remove Pet odors
- Recommended for skin allergies
10. Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo
- A Proven Formula: there is no fake promise it’s a competent anti-itching shampoo that also can deal with dry skin.
- Recommended by Groomers: the most economical and fast resulting formula is recommended by groomers.
In case you are a person who loves to use only highly recommended and proven products for your dog then the shampoo in the spotlight is made for you. The shampoo is made by the veterinarians and includes naturally soothing ingredients that not only soothe but also heal the skin by providing more energy.
This smell amazing also helps to relax your buddy during bath time. Its clinical strength is unmatchable and its also cost-effective. The single bottle of shampoo will last months. After a single bath, your dog will be less smelly, thanks to natural ingredients that make it possible.
- Veterinarian formula
- Good scented
- Repairs dry and itchy skin
Things to Consider While Buying Dog shampoo for Itching
Some features are very important to consider while buying a shampoo for your dog especially when you need to heal the itchy skin and dry skin. Here we list important features that will help you in decision making and support you to pick the right product when you are buying from a physical store.
Type of Skin and Coat
It’s not obvious that having allergies means dry skin, allergies can get caught your dog even when they have an oil or hydrated skin. In selecting the right shampoo it’s imperative to know what type of skin your dog has. Like a smooth coat need a mild formula and where the skin needs to be repaired natural and organic ingredients-based shampoo is best.
In case you have a furry dog then prefer a shampoo with the conditioner because that will make the fur manageable and easy to brush.
For itchy skin where dogs scratch or lick a lot, you must choose a shampoo that can soothe the skin and nourish it. In some cases, allergies can be healed with general-purpose dog shampoo but this I not the case with all dogs and all types of allergies.
Flea and Ticks
These tiny insects can be a cause of allergies, if this is the case then just selecting a shampoo that heals allergies, use a shampoo that can deal with the fleas and ticks.
When this issue is over you will see that your dog gets rid of allergies as well. There are shampoos in the market that can simultaneously deal with insects and allergies.
You might use shampoo for allergy and a treatment to kill fleas and ticks.
Dogs may smell nasty when they suffer with allergies, they spend most of time outside and foreign elements turn their adventurous spirit to unpleasant smell. Keep in mind these smells may penetrate into your couch and carpet if your dog used to sit beside you.
Moreover, bad smells are barriers to spend time with your four-legged family member. A good organic scented dog shampoo can keep your dog fresh for a longer time. The best dog shampoo for itchy skin can be the ultimate solution.
And even a medicated deodorizing dog shampoo is a competent solution for this problem.
Age matter for puppies only, when buying a dog shampoo for itchy skin you must consider shampoo that is made for puppies while buying for a dog above 4 weeks age you can get any organic dogs shampoo.
The products that we listed above have a mild, tearless formula that won’t irritate or inflame the skin, eyes, and nose.
Natural Ingredients are Best
Dog owners usually think that medicated dog shampoos are good to cure skin problems, because they are quick to heal the skin and coat. In actual they are chemical based shampoo, contains artificial colors and additives, fragrance and alcohol, they might heal quickly but not suitable for every dogs. Inflammation due to use of harmful ingredients as well as detergents become challenging for dogs.
While natural and essential oils, essences, vitamins, and herbal proteins natural soothe the skin and provide energy to skin tissues as well as provide a shining coat.
To become sure that you are using only organic shampoo you may choose a USDA certified dog shampoo for itchy and dry skin of your dog. Such shampoo repairs the natural layer of oil on the skin. They are completely free from the fertilizers, insecticides, artificial fragrances, and dyes.
The dog shampoo made with the natural ingredients is the best for often use and ensure the wellbeing of dogs.
No doubt dog shampoo are effective against itching and dryness. This is the reasons vets and groomers prefer them as first line of defense.
Yes, you can but only if your vet recommend it. Sometimes for quick results vets recommend a medicine and shampoo that work best in combination with each other. Otherwise shampoo is best to cure dry and itchy skin.
Well, a single bathe of good quality anti-itching shampoo will prevent scratching and licking, will not completely eliminate it but a significant decrease will be there. While it make take three weeks and up to six baths to complete heal your dog.
Thrice in a week if the problem is serious then in second week two baths are enough. When the itching is eliminated you can use it twice in a month.
As a pet owner, you need to provide your dog with a loyal companionship while ensuring maximum care and comfort that he deserves. This is the reason you need to invest in the good quality anti-itching dog shampoo that can give your dog maximum defense against itching and dryness.
All the above-listed dog shampoos are trusted by thousands of dog owners and vet’s you can choose anyone that seems best to you or stick to your first preference. That will help to eliminate itching, dryness, and also the causes that create such problems for your dog.