The dog training collars with spikes which are known with the other name as “prong collar” is a combination of chain and choke. The prong collar is considered to be a training collar used most commonly with the compulsion-based dog training principle. The good thing is, modern collar and engineered by veterinarians, so they take care of how to keep the dog unharmed. Many studies about the newly designed collars claim that corrective bite of these collars on the neck is not harmful if the collar is used correctly. Keep in mind it’s a common way of correction among dogs; even mothers do the same with small pups.
The difference between a simple/normal collar and spike collar is the way how this collar touch to the neck surface of the dog. Like a normal collar, touch the full neck surface and length as well, while a spiked collar has minimum contact with the surface through only the ends of prongs. So, the effect is a pain, and this design creates discomfort on the point where animals are more sensitive. The reason most dog owners choose spike collars, choke collar, or gentle leads is to address the pulling issues.
Advantages of Dog Training Collars with Spikes
There are a number of people who are not in favour of using the prong/spike collars for the training because it can be harmful to the dogs, but people are still suing using it because its the easiest and convenient way to get control over the dog. Some of the benefits that you can get from a spiked collar are:
Great training tool
Do not judge the book by its cover, definitely these collars not look pretty gets a bad rap among people but no doubt, these collars are great training tools. Even professional trainers use these collars to get control over the dog; otherwise, it hard to stop a healthy dog, and he can disappear or can harm someone or remain disobedient. A good prong collar puts universal pressure around the neck like a mother of small animals does, and such pressure does not cause any damage to the trachea if properly used. We suggest considering the video below before using any prong collar, and before trusting on anyone, give it a test and make it sure it’s helpful, not harmful. Some of the core benefits include:
- Immediate responsiveness from the dog
- The amount and level of pressure or correction is drastically lower than with other tools
- Tends to create far less physical damage than any other type of dog collars (if not abused)
- Now the downsides for this type of dog collar are:
A life-saving tool for dogs
There is a lot of criticism about the prong collars, but we find out it as a life-saving tool for many dogs. Like there are many dog parents who do not take their dogs on the walk because their dog pulls and that makes it hard to control him, especially the old dog owners. It’s really a challenge to hold a healthy and active dog when he gets out of home and wants to play freely. Many of the dogs caught into different diseases when owners do not get them on a daily walk, and the end is horrible for such dogs. But the use of spike collars makes it easy and life-saving for dogs. Even it is ideal to use for the dogs who chew at home and react badly to any command. When dog owners use spike collar on the walk, it becomes easy to deal with the dogs that they cannot deal with previously.
1. Herm Sprenger Black Stainless Steel Spike Collar
- Ideal for disobedient dog training, assembly chain prevent any damage to the dog
- Can be used for easy walk and visits to the vet
- Stainless steel material with black coating, rust-resistant, and matches with fu
- Prongs can be protected with nylon cover
2. OSPet Dog Prong Collar
- A complete package in shape of rope and spike collar for training
- High-quality rope with a comfortable grip and easy to attach mechanism
- The collar is equipped with a buckle for easy on and off, the metal buckle is durable to last and withstands the pressure of the most energetic dog
- Ideal package to avoid rope burn as well as to keep the dog unharmed with prong caps
- Suitable for an aggressive dog who is difficult to probe with
- Suitable for medium and large size dogs
3. ImPetZ by CranoGraphix Training Prong Collar
- Extremely durable, made to last for a long time
- Instant and painless control becomes possible with this collar
- Adjustable as per the size of the dog neck can be used for small and large dogs
- Equipped with a no-hassle quick release system
- Comes with money back guaranty
4. Training Collar, Large, Black, Pack of 2
- A quality and performance-driven system to train and control your dog
- Effective and harmless can be used for quick results
- For dog owners who want gentle options
- Newly invented choke system to keep the dog harmless
- High strength watchband style to wear
5. Mayerzon Dog Prong Training Collar
- Safe and secure collar to use for training
- Made to withstand the pressure of most energetic dogs
- Available in different styles and sizes
- Designed for aggressive dogs training and hold them when they are anxious
- Easy slip-on and off
6. Herm SPRENGER Ultra-Plus
- Highest selling collar in the market
- Safe and secure to use for quick and effective results
- Safety end feature provide protection against complete choking
- Natural contact points for optimal communication
- Recommended by most trainers and dog owners
7. Aheasoun Dog Prong Training Collar
- Equipped with 9 prong links
- Made to protect the trachea and other sensitive areas
- Solid links and “D ring”, that provides a more secure connection with the leashes
- Prong links can be added and removed
- Stainless steel and silver coating provides a stunning look
8. Herm Sprenger Black Stainless Steel
- Made in Germany with prongs on both sides
- Innovative design for your dog
- Back color makes it stunning collar to wear
- Only suitable for medium-sized dogs
- Buckle and D-ring makes the functioning easy
Things to Consider For Safety
No doubt, these collars are useful, especially for the rowdies and untrained dogs, but there is some general measure that every dog owner should take before getting out with the prong collar on the dog.
Mut be properly fitted
Both lose fitting as well a tight-fitting can be dangerous for dogs. A spiked collar must be snug fit not too tight or not lose and must sit below the ear. It’s simply the high you have the collar on the neck of your dog, the better communication you will have with your dog. If you keep it lose, then it will slip back, and your control may not remain effective, and similarly, if you make it too tight, that may cause damage to the dog and feel difficulty while breathing.
Train your dog
It may be the first time for your dog, and he might not feel safe with the collar and get hurt. When first putting a prong collar on your dog that has never worn one. You should make a start with training let him know how it works. Take a day on training, walk slowly, reinforce good behavior, and keep going. It takes only one or session to train your dog, and thereafter you just need to hold the leash correctly, as shown in the video, and you will have full control of your dog. Your dog quickly picks up how it works and starts behaving gently, and after a few sessions, he will start walk without pulling.
Disadvantages of Dog Training Collars with Spikes
There are several disadvantages that a prong collar can the most known ones are:
Prong collar injuries
When not used properly, it can cause injuries to the skin and inner part that can develop into complications, even it can tear apart neck of your dog, but such cases are the only result of the irresponsibility of dog owners. A dog owner who ties his dog outside while wearing a prong collar can expect such a result. Only use the prong collar when it’s required, like when you are going for a walk and do not left your dog unattended when the prong collar is on.
- In certain situations, it can increase a dog’s aggressive response
- It can provoke handler aggression that may bring the worst result
- It can create serious psychological and physical damage, if not used properly
- It creates pain and one of the highest levels of stress in dogs among different dog training tools
Remember not to use for pull or nag; it is a good tool to use when there is a need to quickly communicate with the dog especially when the dog is on the move, or you are walking with your dog. It should be a quick snap of the collar to communicate what you want from your dog. Other then the specified purpose does not use a prong collar to discipline your dog; it’s only for training purposes not to use in routine.
Owners are not trained
Many new owners are not aware of the power of prong collar, and this is one reason their dog got hurt with this training tool. If you cannot afford to train yourself and your dog from a professional video then read the manual carefully and also depend on the videos that we share it will help to understand how to use and how to handle your dog with a prong collar.
Dog Training Collars with Spikes FAQ
No Doubt it’s safe when used correctly. Simply the neck of your dog is in your hand it’s not the only dog who needs to behave gently after prong collar but also the owner needs to take care and keep in mind that there is a collar on the neck which can cause serious injuries. The only difference between the human and the dog’s neck is fur.
Thyroid glands, trachea, esophagus, jugular vein, muscles, and spinal column, lymph nodes are located in similar places. Studies show that Thyroid glands get severely traumatized in case the leash handled incorrectly. It destroyed the body’s immune system that tries to remove the inflamed thyroid, and the destruction of these cells leads to hypothyroidism.
Work in a similar choke collar but it has metal spikes that dig into and pinch the dog’s neck in case he pulls on the leash.
It causes constant pain during a walk that leads to aggressive behavior and fear. And many misused or owner forgets to remove and got get seriously injured.
It’s really hard to know when the dog is in pain, your dog might think to move forward to avoid the pain. For the correct use its necessary to train your dog well.
It is proven that spike collars cause injuries but a great tool for training, alternates are available in the market but not for a walk. It is human to use it if you are well aware that how to handle your dog with a prong collar or your train your dog for the same job. Human societies are totally against the use of prong or spiked collars.
The only alternative is a human trainer who can train your dog for a gentle walk. Or you can use electronic training collars.
A lot of budget friendly options are available in the market that makes the choice difficult for dog owner who is not well aware of the functions of spike collars. Herm SPRENGER is a well-known producer of such collars and we suggest to buy any of their collars. Before using this collar on walk you must train yourself and your dog as well.