An infection in your dog’s ears can cost you a lot because it will include antibiotics and vet visits. Keeping ear clean while using the best ear wipes for dogs is one of the best preventions to sage on your dog’s medical bills.
Regular use of ear wipes, especially after a bath of your dog, can prevent any possibility of ear infection. Here we discuss how ear wipes for dogs can help you keep your dog healthy, but we share our recommendations before that.
Why Do Dogs Need to Have Their Ears Wiped?
Wiping the ears of your dog regularly reduces the chances of devolving ear infection. It is also a competent way to reduce debris, when you are using wipes in a routine it stops accumulating debris that can cause many strange ear problems when accumulated for a long time.
When left unattended the foreign elements that accumulate inside the ear can cause soreness and may lead to deafness and other serious problems.
Simply to reduce your future vet bills you need to keep the ears of your dog hygiene.
When it comes to ear dogs are more sensitive than humans because of deep ear canals that may become a perfect home for yeast, bacteria, and parasites.
At the start of the ear problem, the ear’s inside surface becomes itchy and uncomfortable, at this point your dog may start excessive scratching. You need to stay alert and check the ears of your dog twice in a month and when you find any of the below-listed signs you must investigate further.
- Dog excessively scratching ear.
- Excessive ear wax.
- Unusual odors coming from the ear.
- Strange discharge from the ear.
- Ear change color turns red.
- Swelling on-ear.
- Hair falls inside the ear or around the edges of the ear.
- The ear becomes dark is also a bad sign.
1. Pet MD - Dog Ear Cleaner Wipes
- Veterinary Formula — Designed to clean the dog ears gently with Aloe and Eucalyptus.
- Alcohol-Free — Completely free from alcohol infused with natural ingredients contain antiseptic properties.
- Vey Effective — Made for everyday use, effective against ear infections, a pain lessening solution.
Purified Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Polysorbate 20, Aloe, Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf, Oil, Lactic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance
Pet MD is a renowned name in this industry, and every dog owner is familiar with this name; thank God; they are making a competent solution to clean the ears of dogs. The product in the spotlight is made for regular use; it reduces wax, deodorizes the ear, ends up irritation, so your dog smells good, and stop scratching his ear again and again.
We give it first spot because tens of thousands of dog owners already trusted this ear wipes brand, and most importantly, it is being manufactured in the united states. That means the manufacturer is following the US standard at all.
These pre-moisturized wipes come into a jar, so there is no need to worry; one jar may last for months when used mindfully.
- Soothe the ear of the dog.
- Clean and nice smell.
- Moisturize the ear.
- It leaves a lot of moisture in the dog’s ear, and you may need to clean it if your dog is not ok with that, but in most cases, that moisture is good to heal the problem.
2. Curaseb Chlorhexidine Wipes
- Innovative Formula — It is effective against Ringworms, Pyoderma, Fungus, Acne, Bacterial, and Yeast Infections.
- Ideal for Sensitive Skin — It’s gentle for sensitive skin and powerful enough to rule out stubborn skin problems.
- Can Reach to Inner Ear Canal — It’s super soft and moist, can easily reach the inner area of ears.
It is designed with no sting, not less effective than the Pet MD dog ear wipes, but it has some distinctive features. Like chlorhexidine is its an active ingredient that makes it antiseptic.
When it comes to pet owners’ trust in this effective antiseptic pad that can treat a broad spectrum of skin-related problems, it surely can compete with the Pet MD ear Wipes. The Pet MD brand is serving pet parents for a long time, and Bexley Labs do not have similar footprints.
You will love the results as it’s nearly a medicated solution for your dog’s infected ears, and more amazingly, it can be used for other animals in your home. Still, Curaseb Chlorhexidine Wipes is an effective solution with the pros like:
- Veterinary recommended chlorhexidine
- Antibacterial, Antifungal, and Anti Yeast
- Made for hard to reach areas.
- Not been evaluated by food and drug administration.
- Some dogs may not like its smell, its fast spreading.
3. Earthbath All Natural Specialty Ear Wipes
- Budget-Friendly — It’s priced reasonably and available in 25 counts as well.
- Effective and Safe — It will not remove any spot on feal control and clear infections as well as odors.
- Best Deodorizer — Contains the finest plant sumptuous extracts for gentle deodorizing.
Ear infections can make the life of your dog really worse, especially when not treated on time. Earthbath ear wipes are quite different from Pet MD ear wipes and Curaseb wipes based on its formulation and ingredients.
Earthbath Ear Wipes are free from soap, gluten, DEA, parabens, synthetic dyes, sulfates, or phthalates, and most importantly, these are animal cruelty-free. So, you can be sure you are buying a patent cure for your dog.
There is another reason for recommending this product that is its reduced packing availability. Yes, available in 25 counts pack.
- Made to keep the pet free of wax.
- A natural cleanser and astringent.
- Contains soft and gentle deodorizer.
- Wipes are quite large for small pets; you need to cut them into half.
Common Types of Ear Problem in Dogs
There are two most common ear problems; other than the chronic problems, dog-ear wipes can help to cure the ear of your dog. The common problems are:
- Bacterial Infections
- Yeast Infection
- Trapped Objects
Bacterial Infection — It is one of the most common ear ailments, simply called bacterial ear infection. For proper diagnosis, the vet extracts a liquid from the eardrum membrane to identify the bacteria. Remember that it may spread to other body parts. Wiping your dog’s ear keeps this disease away, or it stops re-occurrence.
Yeast Infection — Food allergies or airborne allergies can cause it; allergies usually lead to excessive amounts of oil on the skin, making the place ideal for the yeast to multiply. When you identify the yeast infection, it is best to consult with your vet. The ear will have a crusty, scabby, and reddened appearance; you can feel it as waxy residue.
Mites — In fact, the dogs who live with other furry friends like cats are more prone to mite attacks, and once dogs suffer from mites, the next, they will be caught into bacterial or yeast infections. Debris spreading on a black background is a sign of mite attacks. Live mites look like moving specks about the size of a pinhead.
Trapped Objects — It is considered the least common ear ailment, but there are still chances that some foreign elements are stuck into your dog-ear and cause a medical problem. It might be a dead insect, airborne debris, cotton swab, or leftover of a topical medication.
Ear wipes for dogs are effective against all of the above-mentioned problems, infect when you become regular in-ear cleaning no such problem arises, and your dog can enjoy good ear health.
What to Consider When Buying Dog Ear Wipes?
Multiple features matter a lot; here’s what to consider while buying choosing the best ear wipes for your dog.
- Pay Attention to Ingredients — ingredients are important because these decide the effectiveness of dog ear wipes. It should be made with high-quality ingredients that cleanse the ears of your dog without irritating. Always prefer to check the ingredients list, and you may ask your vet in case you need more information on the best ingredients.
- Effective Formula — dog ear wipes are available in a range of formulas; some are multipurpose like they can deodorize and clean, while some are only made to clean. You can find some to address a specific problem like a bacterial infection or yeast infection. Prefer to choose one which is made for general use until you are looking for a specific solution.
- Packing — it matters because you will not use all the dog ear wipes in a day; one pack may last for six months, so a durable packing or a jar is best that can keep the wipes safe for a longer time.
- Easy to Use — It should be easy to use a solution; easily get the wipe out from packing and clean with naked hands. Usually, these are safe for humans to touch, and you can see the instructions on the packing before buying.
When Should Ear Wipes for Dogs be Used?
Buying ear wipes for dogs does not mean to start cleaning the ear of your dog so often. Too often, use may lead to other types of ear infections.
Twice a month is a straight forward answer.
Regular cleaning of the ear helps prevent infections and buildup, but doing it too much when your dog is already suffering from an ear infection can worsen the situation.
Cleaning dog ears twice a month is enough to keep your dog protected from an ear infection. Moreover, if you are a dog owner who does not like strange smells coming from dog ears, then an ear wipe for a dog can be a good solution.
Vets are in view of using ear wipes once in a month, but we are in view of using it twice as we are doing it for our dogs, and there is no issue found until now.
2 Most Important Benefits of Using Ear Wipes for Dogs
The anatomy of a dog’s ear makes it a place organ to collect debris and dust and other harmful things like fungus, viruses, bacteria, and parasites. Some breeds naturally cover the inner ear, which is the perfect solution to keep the inner ear safe.
But it’s not the situation with all breeds; the canine ears love downright dirty, especially when they engage in outdoor activities. There are two most important benefits of the cleaning ear of your dog regularly. Like:
- Prevent Infections — Many dog owners may think that dogs with droopy ears may not be exposed to ear infections, but this is not the case. They may be surprised to learn the floppy ears are more problematic than those with rather short standing ears. Its simple heat remains trapped inside floppy ears that lead to condensation and increase humidity. In such a situation, microbial organisms proliferate at a much greater pace. Cleaning the ear is the only solution that helps to prevent ear infections.
- Prevent Canine Hearing Impairment — Untreated ear infection and inflammatory processes that start in the outer ear are two main causes of hearing impairment in dogs. When these two problems become serious, it involves a huge cost to cure, and many times it does not remain possible to heal the ear. So, care while cleaning the ear regularly with ear wipes is the only solution to keep the ear in good health.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are dog ear wipes?
These are wipes bigger than ordinary wipes, made specifically to clean the ears of dogs, contain different ingredients, and effectively clean the debris and other elements from the dog ear.
Can I use them to treat my dog for infections or other ear problems?
Dog ear wipes are only good to keep ear hygiene, and it prevents the re-occurrence of infections. It’s the only solution that can help to prevent ear problems. Regular use can save you from paying vet bills.
How often should I use an ear cleaner?
When your dog is suffering from an ear infection, you can use it as your vet advise you, but you can use dog ear wipes twice in a month when he is in good health.
What are the best dog ear wipes?
We review our top recommendations; you can choose any that seems best to you. We recommend reading our review before buying; it will help understand what an ear wipe can do.
Should I use a homemade dog ear cleaner?
We doubt; it cannot be similarly effective as dog ear wipes that are commercially available. We recommend using ear wipes that are specifically made for dogs.
How do I use a dog ear cleaner without upsetting my dog?
Allow your dog to sit in a relaxed position and then use your one hand to hold the ear, with second hand clean the ear thoroughly.
When should I see a vet?
We discuss the symptoms above; when you notice those symptoms, you must visit your vet.
Your dog may spend his whole life without any ear problem or others can suffer from ear infections. But it can be avoided with proper and regular cleaning while using effective ear wipes. Dog breeds with long floppy ears are more prone to ear infections than others.
All the information that we provided above is well-researched and our recommendations are capable to keep the dogs protected from ear infections. Our top recommendation is ………….. which is trusted by thousands of dog owners and professional trainers as well as by vets.
Keeping the dog ears clean is the responsibility of dog owners and it is an important part of their care.
Checking the ear health of your dog is something you should be doing on regular basis, here are few tips that you can consider to keep you away from ear infections.
- While giving a bath to your dog avoid getting your dog’s head wet.
- Keep the hairs trimmed inside the ear of your dog.
- Pluck the hairs inside your dog ear that you cannot trim, the hairs that accumulate foreign elements.
- Use flea and tick prevention once a month.
- Arrange routine veterinary exams.
- Check ear for abnormal swelling, discharge, or odor, if found something fishy take action immediately.
- Dry the ear of your dog after he swims or takes a bath.
- Use the right product to keep the dog ear in good health.
In fact, your dog hearing is much stronger than you that does not means they are not prone to ear disease. Keeping the dog’s ear clean while using the best ear wipes for dogs.