So, you are a new owner and have an excitable puppy who pulls on his leash, and you want to decide about harness vs collar for the puppy. The superb thing about your curiosity is that your early decision can help you and your dog become comfortable with the harness. To put it one and off in the coming day will become easy, and your puppy will start cooperating with you.
We can understand it well you are afraid of choking with the collar and tugging problems, so you are searching for the better options, here in this article try to cover all the benefits which a harness offer especially when you adopt it from the very early days, there are three basic types of the harness to decide which are,
Harness that hugs the chest is suitable for a stronger pulling puppy, the second one is the gentle leader that is also a type of harness, but we do not recommend it for a puppy, and a third is Rugg harnesses. These are also not suitable for small dogs and puppies.
Here, the ultimate choice is a basic harness that hugs the chest because it offers all the benefits of the harness you are looking for.
Advantages of Harness
- The harness is a good training tool for puppies that haven’t learned to walk on a lead.
- A harness will prevent your puppy from tangling in the leash.
- Offer better control over puppies, especially in a walk, event, and in busy public places.
- Also easier on your back when the puppy pulls.
- It solves tugging on the leash because it disperses pressure over the large area, and the puppy becomes comfortable.
- Discourage pulling; harnesses offer no reward to pulling, so it is good for training.
- Harness offers to pull the puppy gently when he is resting or sitting, so it will never cause any discomfort or pain.
- The best and ultimate solution for escape artist, if your puppy skips from the collar or leads, then the harness is the solution as he cannot slip from it.
- Harness offers better control over your puppy’s jumping, as most of the puppies become nasty when they go outside. It becomes a challenge to control them; the harness offers control over such actions without worrying about choking.
- The best solution for puppies allergic to the collar or leash.
- With Harness, you will never lose your puppy.
- Frequent walks become easy with a harness.
- Say GoodBye to neck issues while using harnesses. With the collar’s overtime use, the tissues and veins may be injured and invest many serious issues because the collar is the main reason for choking and pressure on the neck muscles and respiratory. While selecting a harness, you can avoid these issues.
- Harnesses are very helpful for dogs who are suffering from collapsing trachea.
Are Harness Ideal for Every Breed?
There is not a reason to avoid harness; some dog breeds may show some concerns and dislike and need some time to adjust with the harness. If you have to decide harness vs collar for a puppy, decide about the use of harness and start using from the early days will offer some great advantages, and your dog will become comfortable with it.
You might find that on and off a harness process is a challenging job to do, especially when your dog refuses to corporate. But if you start this practice from your pup’s early age, then this process will become easy for you and your puppy.
So, if you have finally decided about the harness than please check out some of our top picks which are selected on the basis of quality, price and customer reviews.
1. EcoBark Gentle Dog Harness
This product from EcoBark comes in different eye-catching colors and sizes. There small and medium sizes are best for puppies. Check their sizing chart before buying will help you know the exact required size. It is made with a double-layered mesh fabric and built in a way to lasts for many years.
We recommend it at first because it is comfortable and stronger than other typical harnesses for puppies. They feature this product with anti-rubbing technology that will save your puppy from getting injured with the rubbing. It is escape-proof when you choose an exact size for your puppy
2. PUPTECK Soft Mesh Puppy Padded Vest Harness
You will love the stitching quality of this product and the quality of buckles; if we compare quality and price, this is the best product that deserves to be number two.
They make it with the 100% polyester material soft to touch and breathable air mesh, so your puppy will remain comfortable while wearing this harness; it will not hurt when running. A lot of colors and sizes are available. You can match the harness with the leash and other accessories.
3. Copatchy No Pull Reflective Harness with Handle
The handle helps support your puppy with too many tasks that he is not familiar with, and even you can use the handle to wake him up and stand on his legs. Overall, it provides good control over the puppy. This is the reason we recommend a harness with the handle.
This product is made with breathable high-quality mesh material and sewn to last for many coming years; colors and sizes are available. It is good with all types of puppies; its buckles make it easy to apply and provide full control over a puppy.
4. Pawtitas Pet Reflective Mesh Dog Harness
This is a step-in design that is most easy to wear; your dog needs to step in his two legs, or your need to inset the legs and then buckle it up on the top side; this easy-to-walk harness is great for your adventures. It is a padded harness and will remain very comfortable for your puppy even when he is running. Colors and sizes are available from small dogs to adults.
If you are fond of fashionable products, then the colors and style of this product will suit you best, and it will be a prestigious gift for your puppy.
5. INVENHO Mesh Harness with Padded Vest for Puppy
This is a product from fashion lovers; the company “INVENHO” is known for its innovative and quality products. The colors and style of this harness make it different from others, and it will make your puppy a talk block.
This product featured in the clips around the body which make easy on and off and there is no need to instruct your pet to get in you can do it yourself, even if your pet does not cooperate you can apply it with ease. Choose the size carefully and it will be a great lightweight gift for your puppy
Harnesses are not always a perfect alternative to collars, as a basic function of a collar is the identification of dogs, and collars can be used with the normal routine means dogs can wear them all the time. Still, harnesses do not offer this benefit, and you cannot leave your dog with the harness. It would be best to put it on when you are going out and put it off when your dog has to rest or are back at home. In the event of the loss of a dog, the dollar identifies that it has an owner, and he is around and searching for his four-legged friend, a tag on the collar at that time is helpful. So, a harness cannot be a complete alternative to the collar, and your puppy can wear both at a time.
Harnesses offer a lot of benefits over traditional collars. Still, there are some disadvantages too, like if your dog is a breed that can bite, especially when it is outside, pulls hard, or having a chewing habit, then they need a collar that chokes them. Because in such situations, choking helps you to get control over your puppy easily.
To get better results is recommended to start using harnesses from your puppy’s early days as it will develop a lot of positive things in your favorite four-legged friend. In this topic harness vs collar for puppy we try to cover all the benefits of harnesses and the basic use; if you still have any question about the topic, then please ask us in the comments.