It is hard to experience the world without dogs. Almost all of us like having this beautiful pet at our house, and we like sleeping with it. The dilemma is that dogs tend to smell bad after a short period. Sometimes even if the dog does not smell foul, it is nice to make him smell good. Here we discuss in-depth how to make a dog smell good?
In case you are looking for some methods to make your dog smell good, you need to read along.
They say every problem has a remedy. However, therapies require you to be patient. There is nothing you cannot achieve with the help of a proper remedy.
Get to Know the Cause of Nasty Smell
Dogs are sensitive creatures, and they get into the midst of specific ailments quite frequently. Sometimes if the dog does not smell good, there can be certain reasons for that. Before applying any remedy, it is imperative to get the root cause.
The smell in dogs can be due to various reasons. The pouch may have certain infections or maybe eating disorders. In some scenarios, it is possible that the dog needs a bath.
In some other cases, you need to apply some excellent remedies to make your dog smell good.
Here are different ways to make your dog smell good.
1. Use DIY Shampoo
Giving a bath to your dog is the best initiative to make it smell good, and for this purpose, you should have a perfect shampoo. Now when it comes to shampoos, you may have some uncertainties.
You may have used the product several times but did not get the desired results. So making a chemical-free shampoo at home is the best choice to make your dog smell good. Follow these steps to make a DIY shampoo with us.
Incredibly Effective and Affordable DIY Shampoo
The DIY shampoo contains all those essential oils and natural soap that remove the dog’s dirt and unpleasant smell. Let’s begin with this method and give your pet a good bath.
- Castile soap
- Lavender oil
- Mint oil
Step1: Take a bottle or shower mug to make this DIY shampoo and pour a cup of water in it.
Step2: Add 2-3 tablespoons of castile soap and mix it well
Step3: Now add 5, 5 drops of both essential oils, again mix it well to make a well-combined solution.
You must remember that Castile soap is the best cleanser that will work amazingly on your dog. The essential oils will also give moisture, freshness, and soothing fragrance to your pet. This DIY shampoo will work wonders for your dog.
It must be puzzling for you to decide how and when to use this shampoo?
Therefore, it is advised to use this shampoo once a week by following the below-mentioned steps.
- Make this DIY shampoo and get your dog ready for the bath.
- Wet your dog entirely, so not a single part of it is dry.
- Pour the shampoo on your dog and let it rest for a good ten minutes.
- Clean your dog gently with a scrubber to remove excessive dirt and debris.
- Wash it well in such a way that no shampoo solution remained in his body.
- Let it dry itself, and then it would be your turn to do the remaining job.
- Dry your dog with a soft towel, and that’s it.
After giving a bath to your champ, let’s head towards the grooming process. It is a perfect answer to question how to make a dog smell good.
It’s good if you can make shampoo at home otherwise, we recommend using a pure oatmeal dog shampoo that is Burt’s Bees Natural Shampoo for Dogs which is a trusted brand and recommended by professionals and vets.
2. Super Dry Shampoo
If you have a shortage of time or are tired, but your dog needs treatment, make this dry shampoo to make your dog smell better.
Always Busy? Make Dry Shampoo
In case you are a working person and cannot give your dog a regular bath, then this dry shampoo will do wonders for you. Dry shampoo takes minimum preparation and application time.
- Corn starch
- Baking soda
- Lavender oil
- Tea tree oil
- Take a big bowl and add 1 cup of cornstarch and ½ cup of baking soda to it.
- Mix them well and put 5-6 drops of lavender oil and 3-4 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Again, combine the mixture well with the help of a spatula.
- Take the strainer and strain the mix to make sure that there would be no remaining lumps in it.
- Please put it in a jar or powder bottle and sprinkle it on your dog to feel the difference.
- Make sure you only sprinkle this shampoo on your dog and do not pour it.
Alternatively, a shampoo made with oatmeal and aloe is considered acceptable as many dog owners are hesitant to make a shampoo at home; for them, we recommend Shea Butter for Smelly Dogs formulated for itchy and sensitive skin.
3. Miracles of Deodorizing spray
It is natural for a human being to spray some perfume or deodorant after a bath to avoid a rotten smell for an extended period. So why don’t we opt for this method for our pets as well? It would be best to spray deodorant on your pet after every bath. Make a DIY spray for your dog that you will rinse on twice a day.
Homemade Deodorant for your Pet
Make this deodorant and spray it on your pet after every bath to make your dog smell brilliant. It has no side effects and works perfectly on your pet.
- Lavender oil
- Cedar-wood oil
- Beniffer oil
- Rosemary oil
- Take a spray bottle and fill it with filtered water.
- Put six drops of lavender oil, four drops of cedarwood, Jennifer, and rosemary oil in it.
- Shake the solution well, and yes, you are done.
- Now is the time to get the dog ready.
- Spray this deodorant on your dog regularly to make it smell nice.
Essential oils have several advantages and proved to be good for living beings, so using them regularly will make a big difference in your life.
It is much better to get a pet deodorizer like TropiClean Lime & Coconut Deodorizing Spray for Pets from the market because they are more effective and come with a sprayer makes the application easy. As well as cost-effective because when you make a deodorizer at home, it will cost you a lot.
4. Use Wipes
The dog is likely to smell good if you bathe it regularly. However, no one can understand the power of wipes. If you are looking for ways to make your dog smell good, then there is no reason you shouldn’t use wipes.
You can purchase any of the best equity dogs cleaning wipes to clean the dog twice a day. Ensure and clean it from curvy and sensitive areas like ears, armpits, legs, feet, etc.
Take care of nails, hair, and teeth.
It would help if you remembered that dogs need extreme grooming every other day. Cleaning your pet teeth regularly can do wonders for your dog. Also, if you want to make your dog smell good, you cannot ignore ear vaxation. On the other hand, it is too good to cut its nails, so the dog has a neat and clean look and smells good.
- Clean dogs ears at least once a week with the help of cotton buds and tissue.
- Brush its teeth regularly. This is a crucial one to make him smell good.
- Cut your pet’s nails at least twice a month.
5. Brush/Groom Your Dog Regularly
Bacteria and allergies are the primary cause of your dog not smelling fine. There is also this misconception that is grooming your pet once a week or a month is healthy.
The best way is to do it regularly at home to keep it smelling good. Our recent guide on dog hair brushes will help you find the right hair grooming brush for your dog
- Calm the dog so it does not disrupt the grooming session.
- With the help of a simple shedding brush, brush your dog.
- Make sure you are taking the loose hair out.
- Dip a towel in lukewarm water and clean the dog gently.
- Dip the Cotton bud in lukewarm water and gently clean the eyes.
- That is all.
6. Rinse your Pet with Apple Cider
The cleaning process is essential for your dog’s better health and smell. In case nothing is working out, you can always try Apple cider. Apple cider will work as a miracle for you.
You need to know the procedure and quantity to use it properly. In case you are only fond of using a home-based remedy, then it’s a perfect solution to your problem of making a dog smell good.
- Take a spray bottle filled with water.
- Add two tablespoons of apple cider in it and mix well to get a well-combined mixture.
- Rinse this solution on your dog and make sure not a single body part remains dry.
- Let it rest for ten minutes, then shower your dog to feel a significant difference.
We advise not to buy apple cider specifically for your dog but yes; if its available in your kitchen then surely you can use it.
7. Take a Closer Look at Your Dog’s Diet
What if you try all possible remedies to make your dog smell good but forgot to check the diet? That is where you are making a big mistake.
It would be best if you keep an eye on your pet’s diet to make it smell amazing.
- Ensure you are in consultation with your vet regularly to keep on having ideas about your dog’s diet.
- Keep an eye on what the dog is eating from the trash.
- Give your dog a balanced healthy diet and keep checking its body weight to provide adequate food accordingly.
- You also need to add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to its drinking water twice a day.
- Make flax oil part of your pet’s food, pour two tablespoons of flax oil on your pet’s food)
PEDIGREE Complete Nutrition Adult Dry Dog Food is one that we trust most for our dogs and it’s one that is easy to digest and helps to keep the bowel regular and remove unwanted smells.
8. Clean Your Pet’s Bed
Cleaning your dog for a better fragrance is good, but cleaning your pet’s bed is a great thing to make it smell better.
Clean your pet’s bedding after a week with the help of detergents, or you can also dry-clean them.
- Soak the bed for thirty minutes in the solution of warm water and detergent.
- Rinse water until it gets soap-free and dries it completely.
- Use any antibacterial solution after washing the bed and soak it in it for 5 minutes.
- Please put it in a shadowy place, which kills all the germs and bacteria from it.
Proper hygiene and diet is the only way to make sure that your dog smells good. Ensure you are taking care of each and everything in your dog’s belonging to make him smell nice.
We put our best efforts to provide you the answer to question how to make a dog smell good.
The methods mentioned above are for your assistance to make your dog smell good. Although all these remedies are harmless, do not forget to take your dog to a vet in case of a reaction.