Taking care of our teeth is a healthy routine for humans, although some pay more attention to their dental health than others. The dental well-being of your dog is as important as yours, but many dog owners pay little or no attention to this at all. To keep your pup healthy at all times, it is important to care about their dental health using a vet-recommended dog toothpaste is necessary.
Although the adjustment might be a little uncomfortable for your furry buddy initially, over time, with the right toothpaste, brush, and proper brushing technique, you can be sure your smart pet will adjust to this healthy routine.
The daily care of your furry buddy’s dental health shouldn’t be a frustrating routine for you or your furry best friend. It often turns out to be a bonding time and fun time for both you and your favorite pet. Finding the right toothpaste for your dog is an essential step in making the routine worthwhile and pleasant for everyone.
- What You Have to Consider Before Choosing Toothpaste for Your Canine?
- What We Advise?
- 10 Best Vet Recommended Toothpaste
- 1. Enzadent 3 Pack Enzymatic Toothpaste for Dogs & Cats
- 2. Virbac C.E.T Enzymatic Toothpaste
- 3. Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste Dog Poultry Flavor
- 4. Kissable All-Natural Toothpaste for Dogs
- 5. Arm & Hammer Dental Kit for Dogs
- 6. Nutri-Vet Enzymatic Chicken Flavored Canine Toothpaste
- 7. Nylabone Toothpaste Advanced Oral Care
- 8. M&C Fresh Breath and Dental Care Paste
- 9. Petsmile Professional Pet Toothpaste
- 10. Petsol Toothpaste for Dogs and Cats
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thought
Once you find the appropriate toothpaste, experts’ advice, you slowly introduce this to your dog, so your dog can adjust to this new lifestyle. Gradually let your dog familiarize with the new introduction to toothpaste and toothbrush and be committed enough to be consistent with this lifestyle.
Consistency makes a significant difference, not just in helping your furry buddy adjust to this new routine. Still, it also shows your determination to keep your buddy’s dental health keen on your heart.
Every dog owner should get dog toothpaste; oral health is important for your four-legged buddy’s overall well-being. Poor oral health can grow into gum disease, sore throat, tooth loss, sore teeth, and in extreme cases, recurring infection. Paying utmost attention to your dog’s oral health gives her a greater shoot at healthiness even in old age.
You might also like our recent blog post on homemade dog water additives available on a separate page. And miss out on our most popular review best dog training shock collars that will help you to decide which gadget is best to train your dog.
What You Have to Consider Before Choosing Toothpaste for Your Canine?
Dog toothpaste should have some essential functionality. Here are some tips to pay close attention to when picking toothpaste for your furry buddy.
Your choice of doggie toothpaste is mainly dependent on the components it is made up of. It must contain natural ingredients with a blend of appropriate and sufficient compound; without these, the paste is not enough to nourish the teeth of your canine.
You must also ensure your canine is not allergic to the components of the toothpaste. Find a toothpaste healthy and suitable for your dog. A vet-recommended dog toothpaste always comprises necessary ingredients.
2. Cleaning capacity
If you are starting a healthy dental care routine for your four-legged companion, be sure whatever cleaning agent you choose to use has the capacity to clean really well. Is it powerful enough to remove bacteria and plaque?
Does it contain the unique formula to get rid of even baked on plaque or tartar? Be sure your preferred toothpaste does work.
This might sound a bit funny, but it is true. Dog toothpaste comes in various tantalizing flavors; you can choose between peanut, poultry, seafood, beef, malt, and vanilla mint flavors. However, not all dogs’ toothpaste is delicious.
If your dog is reluctant to embark on this routine, a toothpaste that is not appealing would only make this journey stressful and draining for you.
Modern dog toothpaste contains healthy enzymes; these enzymes have the capacity of removing and preventing plaque. Dog toothpaste contains either Enzyme Glucose Oxidase (GOx) or Lactoperoxidase (LPO), or both. GOx becomes anti-bacterial that generates hydrogen peroxide that fights and gets rid of plaque and tartar when exposed to glucose.
LPO is made active by this hydrogen peroxide, and it also fights plaque and tartar. You can rest assured of her oral health when these enzymes are present in her toothpaste.
5. Foaming agent-free
Some dog toothpaste might contain a foaming agent, but these are not totally safe for your furry buddy. Everything that enters her mouth becomes food; dogs would swallow their mouth cleaning agents rather than spit it out like humans.
So, it is therefore important you consider the content of what enters the tummy of your dog is safe.
6. Tube size
If you are considering saving a few bucks while shopping for your canine toothpaste, you might want to compare tube sizes. If A cost is a little more than B’s, A is a 5-oz tube, and B comes in a 3.5-oz tube. It offers more value for your money.
The choice is yours to make.
What We Advise?
Your dog would most likely not willingly let you stick a brush in her mouth for the first time; it would take you time to get her relaxed and comfortable for this routine.
Never use your toothpaste on your dog; tubes of human toothpaste are capable of upsetting a dog’s stomach. Human toothpaste contains ingredients that are somewhat harmful such as fluoride, xylitol, and a high sodium level that is not safe for your dog to swallow.
Since dogs would rather gulp their paste rather than spit it out, you have to be very careful with what goes in the system of your dog. You will be doing your dog an irresistible favor.
You don’t want to carelessly send your buddy to the E.R. Massage her teeth and gum in a slow, circular motion at least twice daily to make her comfortable before thinking of introducing toothpaste.
Don’t be in a hurry; your dog needs a couple of weeks to get familiar and comfortable with the massage. Once you are assured your dog is comfortable with the massage, you can slowly introduce the toothpaste. Allow your dog to taste the paste to be sure she likes the flavor, and reward her with a treat.
Dental care done in the wrong way can cause serious and unnecessary pains, discomfort, and damage to the teeth and gum of your canine. In general buying, vet-recommended dog toothpaste is a good solution that lets you stay worry-free.
10 Best Vet Recommended Toothpaste
To help dog owners improve their pups’ oral health, we have compiled a list of 10 best-recommended dog toothpaste options in a range of flavors, cleaning capacity, cost, uniqueness, size, pleasantness, and customer reviews. You can be sure you would find what works perfectly for your dog.
1. Enzadent 3 Pack Enzymatic Toothpaste for Dogs & Cats
Based on customer reviews, this pet toothpaste came up as the best; the savory poultry flavor makes it a delight for dogs while cleaning their teeth. The excellent enzymatic formula is just right for removing plaques. This 3.2-ounce tube is more affordable than it seems.
The poultry flavor is just enough temptation to lure your canine companion into healthy dental care. The unique non-forming formula is safe for your pet to swallow too.
Why you should consider Enzadent 3 pack Enzymatic Toothpaste for Dogs and Cats
- It has an amazing and tasty chicken flavor.
- It is packed with Triple enzyme formula.
- It is made in the U.S.A.
- You can also use it for your cat if you own one.
- It doesn’t require rinsing, and it is safe for your dog to swallow.
2. Virbac C.E.T Enzymatic Toothpaste
This provides you with an array of options. It comes in five different flavors – poultry, seafood, malt, and beef that your dog would love to indulge in. This doggy toothpaste does not just contain natural anti-bacterial that prevents the buildup of plaque or caked on tartar; it is enriched with enzymes to keep her teeth and gum clean, healthy, refresh her breath.
What more do you desire from toothpaste? This 2.5 ounce is also affordable. Reviews have it that due to the diversity of flavors, canine love and enjoy this paste’s taste. It is one of the best vet-recommended dog toothpaste.
Without forming agent in this paste, it is safe for your canine companion to swallow.
Why you should consider Virbac C.E.T Enzymatic Toothpaste
- It has no forming agent.
- It is super safe for your furry companion.
- There is a wide option to select from.
- It is reliable for removing and preventing plague and stops the formation of tartar.
- It has the most concentrated enzyme proportion.
- Packed with natural ingredients.
3. Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste Dog Poultry Flavor
This 6.2 ounce not only highly affordable but quite popular among dog owners. You would be surprised such an affordable pet toothpaste would do so much. It is decked with an enzymatic formula that removes even stuck-on plaque and tartar.
It also leaves your four-legged companion with refresh breath.
Why you should consider Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste Dog Poultry Flavor
- It allows you to take care of your dog’s dental health on a budget.
- It fights canine gum infections or diseases.
- It polishes and cleans her teeth with the help of enzymes.
- Your dog will never miss a brushing schedule due to the tempting and tasty chicken flavor.
- The non-foaming formula is safe to swallow.
- It is suitable for all types of dogs.
4. Kissable All-Natural Toothpaste for Dogs
This all-natural paste comes in two tempting flavors of vanilla, either with tea tree oil or cucumber mint. This paste is gentle on both adult dogs and puppies. Be assured that this nature-packed paste would keep the teeth of your dog not just clean but also healthy.
Why you should consider Kissable All-Natural Toothpaste for Dogs
- It contains a healthy concentration of tea tree oil that is perfectly safe for your pet.
- The flavors promote healthy gums.
- It is manufactured in the U.S.A.
- The tea tree oil helps combat the plague.
- It is an all-natural packed paste, especially curate, to be safe for dogs.
- It is naturally sweetened with stevia.
- It is mildly abrasive to clean the teeth and disinfect the mouth.
5. Arm & Hammer Dental Kit for Dogs
This is packed with a few accessories; toothpaste, a double-sided brush, and a finger brush. It speedily stops and removes plaque and tartar growth. However, if your dog is a biter, it is advisable not to use the finger brush, although the finger brush helps you clean the dog’s gum perfectly.
A top rated vet recommended dog toothpaste.
Yet if your dog is a biter, this is a routine you should skip.
Why you should consider Arm & Hammer Dental Kit for Dogs
- It is readily packed with a complete dental kit with useful accessories for caring for your canine teeth.
- There are about three exciting flavors to choose from.
- You can use it on all dogs.
- The formula is suitable not only for cleaning your canine teeth but for maintaining complete oral health.
- Arm & Hammer contains high-quality and natural ingredients.
6. Nutri-Vet Enzymatic Chicken Flavored Canine Toothpaste
This doggie toothpaste is easy to use because of its tempting flavor and strong aroma that lures your dog to taste the paste excitedly. This paste is packed with a perfect enzyme proportion. It gradually whitens the teeth of your dog, keeping it daintily clean.
It is good for dog teeth; you may have to put in a little more effort for better cleaning results.
Why you should consider Nutri-vet Enzymatic Chicken Flavored Canine Toothpaste
- The versatile formula prevents ailments from developing.
- The strong aroma makes it perfect for acclimating your dog to an oral cleaning routine.
- It is made in China.
- It is a non-forming agent.
- It is packed with versatile ingredients.
7. Nylabone Toothpaste Advanced Oral Care
With a higher proportion of Sorbitol, this delicious paste has just the perfect capacity for cleaning your canine teeth. It is decked with ingredients that will speed up your furry buddy’s recovery from dental infections or sicknesses.
It has a unique formula – Denta-C, that contains just the right ingredient needed for oral health.
Why should I consider Nylabone Toothpaste Advanced Oral Care?
- It is a natural toothpaste that contains vitamins and minerals.
- The Denta-C has minerals useful for preventing the build-up of tartar.
- Packed with Denta-C that tackles all the dental problems for your dog.
- Freshens breath and polish the teeth.
8. M&C Fresh Breath and Dental Care Paste
This edible paste is uniquely formulated for cleaning and maintaining the oral health of your canine. It contains natural ingredients for fresh breath and anti-bacterial agents that prevent the build-up of plaque and tartar.
This vet recommended dog toothpaste known best for fresh breath also.
Why you should consider M&C Fresh Breath and Dental Care paste
- No need for brushing.
- It specially contains cinnamon oil, eucalyptus, parsley.
- It causes no harshness to the stomach of your canine; it is safe to swallow.
9. Petsmile Professional Pet Toothpaste
This is clinically proven to meet the highest standards for the dental health of your pet. And it prevents plaque and tartar, generally improves the wellness of the gum.
Why you should consider Petsmile Professional Pet Toothpaste
- It removes and reduces tartar build-up with or without a brush.
- It is beef-flavored.
- It contains calcium and phosphates that re-mineralize the teeth of your canine.
- It is vegan, allergy-free, gluten-free, silica-free.
10. Petsol Toothpaste for Dogs and Cats
This paste specially cares for your canine and gum teeth, thus reducing the chance of gum problem, freshen and fights bad breath. Improve the general wellness of your canine teeth. The active ingredients target and tackles all the possibilities of dental problems.
Why you should consider Petsol Toothpaste for Dogs and Cats
- It is mint flavored.
- It is a tasty formula that dogs love.
- It is professionally made to meet the dental needs of dogs and cats.
- It removes dental stains.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is never too early to start; you should introduce this routine to your pup as soon as you get one. Ideally, it is recommended you introduce this routine to your pup between the ages of 8 and 16 weeks to get her comfortable with the routine soon enough and make it easier for you when she reaches adulthood. Start early but slowly, and remember to praise and give her nice treats for every cleaning well done.
Just like you clean your teeth daily, ideally, you are meant to clean her teeth daily too. But your schedule might be too busy for that; it is advisable to brush her teeth every other day, but if you have just enough time, why not just go ahead and have fun cleaning her teeth?
To prevent serious dental problems for your pet, you should clean her teeth at least two to three times a week and take her for a professional oral cleaning at least once a year.
You might wonder why you should be bothered about the dental well-being of your dog; after all, for thousands of years without toothpaste, Vets, toothbrushes, etc., they have been living finely. Then it might as well shock you that according to researchers and dog enthusiasts, on average, 85% of canines over the age of 3 have dental issues that require professional attention. Infections, dental problems, and diseases are closely associated with dogs.
Do you know a dog has about 42 teeth? This might be a lot of teeth to keep track of. A dog’s teeth can accumulate tartars, plague from dental care neglect that can lead to bone loss, loose teeth, and worse tooth loss. The dental well-being of your dog is more important than you can imagine.
By incorporating a healthy dental routine of your four-legged buddy into your schedule, you can be assured of a healthier life for your pup, improve her oral wellness, reduce the cost of dental treatments at the Vets.
Remember, animal neglect is a crime, and so is neglecting their dental well-being. Tell it to someone to draw their attention to the importance of making their pet’s dental well-being a priority.
Caring for your dog’s teeth improves healthier gum and reduces her chances of having periodontal disease or safe her from having it. The anti-bacterial agents in the toothpaste help to terminate the bugs that metamorphose plaque into tartar. You love your pet more when their breath is fresh.
Once the oral care of your four-legged buddy becomes a top priority, a natural part of your daily and (or) weekly routine, you would be amazed at how much fun you would have while being a responsible dog owner. You can choose any of the above-listed vet-recommended dog toothpaste to fulfill your duty.