To cure the constipation of your dog on the immediate basis; knowing what causes constipation in dogs will helps you a lot to find a quick remedy.
Basically, constipation in dogs is an irregular movement of bowels or straining to poop because of any internal blockage or disease. The very basic reason is diet, a low fiber diet cause constipation most of the time. In most of the cases, dog constipation is temporary but it can lead to more severe health issues.
There can be other reasons too that can cause constipation in dogs like:
Common Causes of constipation in Dogs
Medically the causes of constipation divided into three categories:
- Intraluminal ( issues/blockages that arise inside the colon are covered in this category)
- Extraluminal (Outside of colon disease and issues fall into this category)
- Intrinsic (nerve injuries and diseases are included in this category)
Some of the most common reasons for dog constipation are,
- Diet (too much or too little fiber in diet) or a sudden change in diet that is hard to digest.
- Medication (such as antihistamines, diuretics, narcotic pain relievers, and sucralfate).
- Colon diseases.
- Dogs ingested hairs or pieces of toys (excessive self-grooming can be a cause).
- Excessive licking of floors
- Eating bones
- Dirt of gravel
- Lack of exercise
- Dehydration in dogs also can cause constipation (Dehydration due to illness)
- Neurologic, endocrine or metabolic disorders
- An obstruction at the anus of the dog
- Enlarged prostate in make dogs
- Crouching pain can be a cause for dogs who suffer from orthopedic disorders
- Old age
- Missed Meals
- Blocked or abscessed anal sacs of dogs
- Any blockage within rectum because of masses or tumors.
- Trauma to the pelvis
- Neurologic disorder
- Anxiety, fear or another behavioral condition that effect the normal bowel movement can be a cause.
- Hypothyroidism or hyperparathyroidism also can be a cause of constipation.
Hopefully, this wise list make your mind clear to know what causes constipation in dogs? because we know that when you know the reason you can better treat the disease of your four-legged friend.
Signs of constipation in dogs
It is marked in dogs by the inability to pass stool for more than 24 hours. As pet owners, we know that most the dogs produce feces at least once in a day, and for many, it depends on the number of meals in a day. If you find any under-listed sign in your dog that can be a sign of constipation:
- Hard stool, known as concretion, dry stool that resemble like pebbles in texture. This is common signs of constipation in dogs.
- Dog suffering pain while attempting a bowel movement.
- Passing blood without stool or blood in the stool.
- Lack of apatite, especially when the dog refuses to take the next meal.
- Abdominal pain in a dog, you can detect it while pressing the stomach.
- Lethargy & Vomiting
- Dog feeling pain while urinating
- Common Causes of constipation in Dogs
- Signs of constipation in dogs
- Scooting, circling, squatting without results, dragging bottom along the floor
- 48 hours without any bowel movement
- Passing abbreviated liquid or mucus stool after straining
- Weakness, lack of energy
You need to consult with your vet if your dog is feeling pain and you detect blood in the stool. Constipation can lead to many severe issues and can severely damage the bowl of your dog. Always inspect stool of your dog and it will become possible when you walk with your dog if you feel any inconsistency that is a point of consideration for you.
What are common remedies of constipation in dogs?
Many times, it is frequent in dogs, and you do not need any medication to cure this disease, consider under-listed home remedies to regulate the digestion process of your dog,
- Canned pumpkin, feeding pumpkin can be a right solution in constipation as well as to stay regular.
- Milk, human use milk to deal with constipation, and the same remedy are also available for dogs.
- Olive or coconut oil, these natural mineral oils also can help your dog to stay regular, and when you feed these in constipation, these bring quick results.
- Rich in fiber cooked green beans are also beneficial to clean the colon and improve bowel movement.
- Ginger in soft food is also helpful to regulate the digestion process.
- Broth, many of dog’s owners prefer to feed beef, chicken, or bone broth to soothe the stomach of dogs, and it brings rapid results.
You need to use only one home remedy at the same time, because using more than one can lead to severe diarrhea. These common remedies are beneficial to deal with the constipated dog and necessary to bring fast results. Your dog remains in pain unit you did not bring any solution for him.
Help your dog to stay regular, and you can do it while adding pumpkin in the daily meal or offering broth once daily or cooked ginger in daily meal. On the other side, a healthy level of activity also supports dogs to stay regular. If your dog is experiencing constipation often then prefer to add canned dog food to make the dry kibble soft for your dog. Moisture in diet is always supportive of healthy digestion.
When to visit the vet?
When nay of your home remedy is not working and constipation time crosses the limit of 48 hours. You should take your dog to vet for an immediate solution. Because a prolong constipation can lead to more severe problems.
Dried fecal matter can also develop if you do not treat the chronic constipation of your dog that is known as obstipation. Megacolon is also a cause of chronic constipation in this disease colon lose its ability to move feces along.
When you visit the vet, share all of the information about your dog and prior signs and diseases, Like under-listed
- The last time of regular bowel movement
- Any changes in the diet of your dog or any additional food
- Any injury your dog suffering with
- Any change in the mealtime and number of meals
- Pain during bowel movement or straining
- Blood in stool and color of stool
- Consistency of stool
- Any treatment took before
- Any other sign that you detect during constipation
Your vet may advise some of the medical tests to figure out the exact condition or maybe a manual removal of hard stool proposed. Whatever the solution is (most of the times it is mild treatment) advised you need to follow that and stay in touch with your vet until the dog become regular.
A balanced diet and fresh water are necessary for your dog to stay regular and if once your dog suffers from this disease then prefer to add canned dog food with dry or add pumpkin in the daily meal to make it healthy for digestion.
We discuss all related question and aspects of the topic what causes constipation in dogs? if you have any suggestion to add, then please let us know in comments.